I have... 2 boxes. Along with VC 2.5 Update 1.
I haven't updated the plug-ins yet... The docs say to uninstall/reinstall the VMware Converter plug-in. I'm still testing though.
My 2 little HP D530's are begging for more RAM and a break. LOL.
I did the VC 3.5 Update 1 upgrade today (from 2.0.x) and the ESX upgrades will happen next week. . .I don't have a lab, so it will be an upgraed of one of the hosts and see how it goes. our hosts are all 3.0.x
The license server installation/upgrade must still be performed as a separate step at the very beginning.
Well that certainly was uneventfull. I did a manual upgrade of the license server, I was informed that "a an upgrade will be performed" but I don't see any change in the product or build number, copyright is still 2006. Just FYI.
My lab hosts are currently being managed by the Lab Manager Server so I'm holding off on the ESX upgrades for a little while.
rparker - you are a wild man with your production upgrades and I mean that in the friendliest of tones Thank you for upgrading your license server even if no upgrade happened. We'll both sleep better now.
[VMware Communities User Moderator|http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2444][/i]
I've got a question (I'm running ESX 3.0.1 and VC 2.0.1 patch...2 ):
VC Release notes say:
"Upgrading or Migrating to VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 1
This release also supports upgrading from VirtualCenter 1.4.1, VirtualCenter 2.0.2 (including Update 1, Update 2 and Update 3), or VirtualCenter 2.5 to VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 1. Review the detailed upgrade and migration instructions and guidelines that are provided in the Upgrade Guide."
The upgrade guide that is linked in the above paragraph has a table (4-1) on page 50 that says
versions of VirtualCenter that are supported for upgrade:
VMware VirtualCenter Version Upgrade Support to VirtualCenter 2.5
VirtualCenter 2.0.1 Yes
VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Yes
I'm not really sure if the guide I'm reading reflects VC 2.5 Update 1, thoughts?
Thanks. My boss thinks I have vmware blood... since I spend so much time on the servers. I got up early this AM to download the files (hoping that an earlier post proved they would be available today) and I was right. I kept hitting 'refresh' until they were online, then I downloaded. As soon as I came into work, first thing I did was VC, and then remediate my hosts...
The only depressing part, I have to wait 2 more months for another upgrade! ;(
> VMware VirtualCenter Version Upgrade Support to VirtualCenter 2.5
VC 2.5 implies ALL updates and patches for 2.5, including update 1.
Yeah, we may get there, but for now there are only 2 VI admins... and since the other guy is on vacation, I thought I would leave him a little present.
I figure if I have to support them, and they break, I can fix them... I don't panic since the main cluster can vmotion the VM's.. the host is offline, so what's the worst that can happen a rebuild? That takes all of 10 minutes including configuration, but so far so good.
What's being released in 2 more months? Update 2??
> What's being released in 2 more months? Update 2??
well nothing official, just basing my guess on past history, they seem to release updates every 60 days or so.
Well, I'm the only VI guy here (for the most part).
We've got another guy that knows a little about it, and the Director is the one that set it up before I got here - he hasn't touched it in 3 years.
But our policies require Change Control approval before we can touch anything in production, or that could effect production.
After doing this for 15+ years on the civilian side, sometimes it is better to wait a few days.
> After doing this for 15+ years on the civilian side, sometimes it is better to wait a few days.
Yeah I know -sigh- I just like to be up to date with the versions. Besides, someone has to be the first to test it... I know VM Ware has beta testers and QA testers, and I am sure they tested it before making it official.... but 2 weeks ago, they let the cat out of the bag early and tipped us all off, and the build numbers were the same, so these builds have been ready for 3 weeks...
I am confident they can fix issues by then....
Well I just went to install the latest license server (current version was 10.8), and the new version is 11.0. The install ran with no problems however the build version for the license server is still 10.8. I've restarted the services etc which made no difference.
Looks like you need to remove the license server and install the new one?
Hello, everyone, thank you for (once again) pointing out this sort of problem on the Downloads site. I have logged a Critical ticket with the team that manages that area, and I also requested an investigation into possible process breakdowns. I referenced seven discussion threads in Communities, supporting my request for the broader investigation.
I apologize on behalf of VMware.
Senior Community Manager, VMware Communities