VMware Communities
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move fusion images to new machine

I sure hope this hasn't been asked before, but I did search and kept getting no real results.

I am running a macbook pro 15" with the latest build of fusion. I am only running a Win XP machine for daily office productivity. I just purchased a new 17" macbook pro with Leopard and I want to move my image from one machine to the other.

Is this a straightforward process? Do I need to know anything ahead of time? Any gotchas?

I will assign points if this practice is still observed...I haven't posted in forever...started a new career.

thanks, Chad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as you don't have a Boot Camp virtual machine or some similar custom setup, it's as simple as copying over the virtual machine over to the new computer and when Fusion asks, telling it that you moved the virtual machine. The common gotcha that I can think of is the 4GB limitation of FAT32 drives - you'll probably run into problems if you try to use such a drive to copy your virtual machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as you don't have a Boot Camp virtual machine or some similar custom setup, it's as simple as copying over the virtual machine over to the new computer and when Fusion asks, telling it that you moved the virtual machine. The common gotcha that I can think of is the 4GB limitation of FAT32 drives - you'll probably run into problems if you try to use such a drive to copy your virtual machine.

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That sounds great...so far. Let me add this to the discussion: would it be as simple as hooking a firewire cable to the machines; copying the fusion/xp image over; and restarting on the new machine???

Seems to simple to be true since I don't have any bootcamp 'stuff.' :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That sounds great...so far. Let me add this to the discussion: would it be as simple as hooking a firewire cable to the machines; copying the fusion/xp image over; and restarting on the new machine???

Assuming you're using Target Disk Mode or IP over Firewire, yeah, that should work. An ethernet cable, wireless, or HFS+ formatted drive are also other options.

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

THANKS!!!!

0 Kudos