VMware Cloud Community
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stop reoccurring discovery of iSCSI targets

I am doing a bit of testing, and presented some iSCSI LUNs to one of my ESX hosts. After finishing up with part of the testing, I removed these LUNs from the iSCSI SAN without first removing them as storage on the ESX host. As a result, the ESX host keeps trying to rediscover these LUNs, and this is generating a ton of errors on the SAN.

Short of rebooting the host, is there anything I can do to stop the discovery of these non existent LUNs?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Roman_Romano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you removed the IP from the 'Dynamic Discovery' tab (Confguration - Storage Adapters - iSCSI Adapter Properties)?

kukacz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try to forcibly kill the iSCSI stack - be careful, all iSCSI sessions for that ESX server will be killed, if you have any virtual disks or RDMs stored on iSCSI, then better schedule this operation to some off-peak time.

It can be done through console command "esxcfg-swiscsi -k", then disable it completely "esxcfg-swiscsi -d", reenable it "esxcfg-swiscsi -e" and rescan "esxcfg-swiscsi -s". After that you should also restart ESX management service: "service mgmt-vmware restart".

--

Lukas Kubin

0 Kudos
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Roman,

I believe that is only for when rescanning, but it did point me in the correct direction. Basically, when VMFS volumes are added through an iSCSI HBA using dynamic discovery, the full paths are automatically added to the static discovery list. It was as simple as removing them.

Thanks for the kick in the right direction!!

0 Kudos
Roman_Romano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad to help Smiley Happy Thanks for the additional info. At least you got it all sorted.

Regards

0 Kudos