VMware Communities
dkjhk
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Win XP starting due to missing or currupt file

I was using VMware Fusion and had Win XP running on my Macbook pro. At the same time I had Mac OS Leopard running. When I opened an Excel sheet under Mac, it hung and caused the notebook to freeze. I had to carry out a hard reset by pressing the on/off button for a while. Although there seems to be no issues with the Mac side of things, when I treid to switch on the Win XP via VMware Fusion, I get the following error message: "Windows could not start bacuse the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\pci.sys You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom. Select "r" in the first screen to start repair." I am a little perplexed as to how to go about doing this. From what I can see, Fusion allows for a new Virtual Machine to be set up but does not seem to have any provision to repair any existing Virtual Machine. Unfortunately, I have not taken any recent snapshot of my Virtual machine so I am not sure how to resolve my problem. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't understand, do you mean that Fusion won't fix XP, or that you cannot fix XP?

Think of your VM as a regular computer, you need to take your original XP disc, put it in while the VM is going and repair your installation.

0 Kudos
dkjhk
Contributor
Contributor

When I start Fusion, it shows a screen of Virtual Machine Library and lists the Virtual Machines installed. I only have Windows XP Professional installed which I highlight and press "Run". It sets off the startup process and then the error message pops up. In view of the error message popping up each time I have tried to run the virtual machine, I even tried to keep the Win XP disc inside the CD Drive but I am unable to run it and repair the installation. I then tried to see if Fusion might allow me to repair the installed Win XP but it does not have such an option. I can only see four options which are "New", "Download", "Settings" and "Run". The "New" option brings me to a new VM installation which I do not want to add. The "Downlaod" option opens up the vmware web site. The "Settings" option simply allows me to make any changes to the settings of the installed VM but does not allow to repair it. The "Run" option starts up the loading process of Win XP but gets stuck at the screen as mentioned in my first message.

I have gone around in circles and I am unable to find a way to use the original Win XP disc to repair the installed guest OS.

Thanks.

0 Kudos