VMware Communities
Grabie5
Contributor
Contributor

Accessing files through network

I have recently installed and bought VM Fusion and cannot seem to open any Microsoft office documents through the network. it wont even let me select them to try and open them when I go to File open (I pic the location on the network and I can see it but I cant select it.)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are going to need a great deal more information to be able to help you. What OS are you using with Fusion? Do you have word working in Windows? Can you open local files with word?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at then fill in the blanks.

0 Kudos
Grabie5
Contributor
Contributor

I am running the new Mac Book Pro. Leopard X this is the first mac I have ever laid my hands on so I am getting used to all of its features as well. What I have is Microsoft office Word, Excel, Etc. and if I click file open and choose the server connection and choose a folder containing the files that I need over the network on the server I can see it but I can't open it or even click on it.

0 Kudos
Fred_3_0
Contributor
Contributor

How timely. I'm having the same issue.

How do I access directories created on the "C:/" drive, or just access the Windows "C:/" drive from inside OS X (Leopard)? I am using Windows apps that create and use their own storage directories, which the app needs to find the files it uses. But then when I need to access those files from OS X, I can't figure out where the Windows files are stored.

Another question I have has to do with an external HDD (a WD "My Book") that both Windows and OS X were able to access until today when all of a sudden Windows isn't mounting the drive when it starts up.

Up to now, in order to solve problem number 1 above I just ported the files from the C:/ drive over to the My Book (E:) drive. But now Windows isn't loading up that drive at all so I don't know what to do except email files to my Google account from Windows and then go get them from inside Leopard. But that seems sort of stupid and.

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

You need to share the C: drive in Windows (Right click on C; drive and select “Sharing and security: and enable the sharing) once you shared the c: drive

Go to Mac OS and from Mac OS Menu Bar go to “Go” and select “Connect to server” to access the windows share on Mac you need to type (smb://IP Address of Virtual machine)

0 Kudos
Grabie5
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for responding to my problem. I tried doing what you said, however if I am connecting to a folder on my server i go to connect to server put in the IP address and can see the files i need to open ( I am in the Virtual Machine at this time) but I cannot click on them to open them?

0 Kudos