Ok quick update.
I've abandoned that installation as it took all evening to get from 65 to 70% and the disk light was on permanently, which was starting to concern me!! Doing some diagnostics on the host OS it appeared the system was running low on free physical RAM and was constantly swapping on the disk, ooops.
One other thing I'd changed was increasing the guest memory - I'd hoped it would only allocate it from the host if it needed it, but whatever the case it must have left the host os short on RAM.
So I've reduced the guest OS RAM allocation and also switched off the runtime logging for now. Restarted it about 20 mins ago and it's already at 31% - wow what a difference.
Goes to show that tuning the system is critical - I'll be purchasing more RAM tomorrow
appologies for the false alarm.
Great job on beta 2 btw, from what I've seen so far, the improvements on the management web interface and console plugin make a massive difference to useability!
I had similar issues when I tried to install Solaris on VMware Server 1.0.x - eventually I gave up and used a Solaris VMware image which I downloaded from Sun website.