9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2008 3:43 PM by mstorman

Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues

stom Lurker

It seems I can't post to the proper beta area.

I have just upgraded vmware server 2 from beta 1 to beta 2

Upgrade was smooth and vmachines came up correctly without anu reconfiguration effort.

HOWEVER, the machine is taking huge performance hits.

Host is a Dual Core 2.66 with 4Gigs of ram. OS is win2k3 64

Client OS is fedora core 8. x86

Just by starting the vm both host AND client are almost unusable due to high load.

(there is nothing special running except vmware).

There is a waring about debug (which cannot be disabled) but this was also the case with beta 1 (or so I think).

As an example, pinging the host localy over Gigabit lan goes from less than 1ms to 400 -500ms.  when the client starts and stays like that even after the client boot has completed.

Additionally pinging the client os also produces delays of 400 to 800ms.....

I removed beta 2 and reinstalled beta 1..

Not suprisinlgy, all things went back to quite acceptable performance..

Pings are always BELOW 1ms no matter what.

And NOW there is a warning saying that beta1 will expire in two days.

You MUST be JOKING.

• 1. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
          Zeus0r Novice

At least you can connect via bridged NICs..

I can't even enable/save the (device status) "Connected" setting with the "Bridged" Option. I can connect via the "Host only" and the "NAT" options. All changes of "Connected" + "Bridged" are not saved, either through the VI client or through the Web UI. - and thus all VMs are offline/not network connected. See attached gif/image.

Have anyone encounted a similar problem?

Mobo is GA-P35-DS3R with Onboard gigabit realtek running Windows Server 2008 x64 with Vmware server 2 beta 2.

• 2. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
            Jackobli Master
            Zeus0r wrote:

I can't even enable/save the (device status) "Connected" setting with the "Bridged" Option. I can connect via the "Host only" and the "NAT" options. All changes of "Connected" + "Bridged" are not saved, either through the VI client or through the Web UI. - and thus all VMs are offline/not network connected. See attached gif/image.

Thought the VI Client should not work correctly with Beta 2 (see release notes or FAQ)...

Already tried to stop the machines before changing the network settings? Perhaps a problem with web-ui?

If nothing works, you may stop the guests and edit the appropriate *.vmx manually.

• 3. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
              Peter_vm Guru

Please post VMware Server 2.0 Beta 2 issues in this forum (appropriate group):

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/server2.0b2

• 4. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
                oreeh Guru

FYI: this thread has been moved to the Server 2.0 Beta 2 - Performance and Scalability forum.

Oliver Reeh

VMware Communities User Moderator

• 5. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
                  Eldredge Novice

I am also seeing huge performance issues with VMServer 2 beta 2.  My host system is:

CPUs: 2 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ processors

RAM: 8 GB

Host OS: SuSE Linux 10.3 x64

Guest OSes: Windows XP SP2 x 2

Just starting these  VMs will bring the box to 100% CPU utilization.  I never had this problem with Server 2 beta1.  I also have a linux Workstation 6 license and it this is not an issue there either. I can run serveral VMs at the same time without an issue.  Beta 2 is un-usable.  Please please help.

• 6. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
                    Eldredge Novice

While watching "top" on the host.  The "vmware-vmx-debu" process is taking 100% of the CPU.  How do you turn that off?

• 7. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
                      sej7278 Enthusiast

the debug mode uses over 100% cpu on my core2duo and p4ht machines (i.e. at least 50% of each core) it makes the host and guest unsuable, dunno how people managed with beta1.

you can turn off debugging and logging from the webui (must have the vm powered off) under "configure vm".

that seems to make my processors go down to about 6% cpu when the vm is doing nothing, and then 20-40% when dragging windows around or doing a while loop in bash. its still higher than v1.0.x and intel VT on the core2duo doesn't seem to make any difference to the pentium4 without it.

oh and don't even try to run 2b2 on a 1gb machine, i tried it on an old laptop and all the swapping made it useless. something else that was better on 1.0.x

• 8. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
                        Eldredge Novice

You can not turn of debuggin in beta 2..

• 9. Re: Vmware Server BETA 2 Huge issues
                          mstorman Novice

Yes you can turn off debugging mode in Server 2.0 beta 2.  Shutdown your VM.  Open the web UI. Click on your VM, then click on Configure VM.  Click on the Advanced Tab > then Uncheck the Record Runtime Information > Debugging information > then select OK. 

Start your VM.