VMware Communities
DavidLOzzi
Contributor
Contributor

screen resolution

Hello,

I'm new to VMWare. I downloaded the player and someone gave me their existing Mac OS virtualized installation for a demo. The display resolution is 1024x768 and I would love to increase the screen size as high as possible as i'm running on 1920x1200. How do i do this?

Thanks,

David Lozzi

David Lozzi
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you mean "how do I resize the screen in OS X" then the answer is:

1. Open the System Preferences (either from the Dock or from the Apple menu). (It looks like a light switch)

2. Open the Displays Panel and choose the Display tab.

3. On the left of the Displays tab you can select one of the Resolutions from the list.

4. Quit or close the System Preferences when done.

Remember, when using an OS in a VM, think of it as a real computer, because that is essentially what it is. So, to make changes to a Mac, think like a Mac user! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
DavidLOzzi
Contributor
Contributor

I went there and there is only 1024x768. I'm guessing Mac sees the player as a set size?

David Lozzi

David Lozzi
0 Kudos
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Most likely yes. I have not used OS X in a VM in some time, (I was given an iMac as a gift! Smiley Happy )

IIRC, Mac OS will only report the screen resolutions it believes are viable for the hardware. There is likely a way to change it through the shell, although, I don't know if this is a good idea... Make certain to take a snapshot of the OS if you plan on trying this.

0 Kudos
DavidLOzzi
Contributor
Contributor

in the shell? how?

David Lozzi

David Lozzi
0 Kudos
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

By using a tool like this:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/macos-x-server/2004/Sep/msg00948.html

Note, if you are not familiar with using a Unix command line (bash) I suggest you don't do this. But if you want to give it a shot make certain you take a snapshot of the OS first!

If I remember correctly, OS X is not supported in a VM, so a whole bunch of things that would normally work in it do not work in a VM. In all honesty, you are probably better off leaving it at the resolution you have it at. Yeah, I know that sucks. Sorry. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
DavidLOzzi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

David Lozzi

David Lozzi
0 Kudos
NNy2k
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link. I was just looking for a thread about the screen size in the OSX VM too as I have a larger screen and would love it to be full screen when playing with MAC.

I'll post back in a few and let you know how it made out!

Cheers!

0 Kudos