0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2008 5:06 AM by hitman101

Server 1.0x/2 and USB support

hitman101 Lurker

I have used server 1.0x for some time and am frustrated by the poor support/performance for/of external devices particularly USB and Firewire and also newer technologies like eSata.

I was hoping to upgrade to Server 2.0 which I understand should change things. I am staggered by the apparent lack of progress with Server 2.0 which I can only assume by the lack of a new Beta or RTM means that we are unlikely to see Server 2.0 this year.

Will VMWare be upset if I defect to another emulator platform?

For those who want better support for USB without necessarily upgrading can I suggest they try something like "Nikkai 4-port USB Network Server" (UK) link below. As the name suggests you can plug in most USB-2 peripherals into this box, then connect your physical/virtual PC's to the usb devices over the LAN - negating the need to rely on VMWare's support of direct connected USB devices!

The only issues I forsee with this is connecting USB Disks or other high bandwidth devices (usb tuners, video capture etc). This box also only supports 10/100  so performance may suffer occasionally, and is only supported by windows not linux. There may be other similar/better specified/supportted devices out there somewhere!?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221384&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=nikkai&doy=26m3

Haven't tried it myself yet but I plan to soon