VMware Cloud Community
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL scheduled jobs in VC 2.5

Could anybody tell me why is it so difficult to know what jobs are scheduled by default in VI3 (if it were to run on full SQL), so I can replicate the solution with 3-rd party help for SQL Express?

I believe some rollups, but what is the frequency of such jobs?

Thanks

Seb

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nobody?

Somebody must be doing it (if the SQL Express can not do it itself)

Seb

0 Kudos
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you browse the Virtual Center CD and go to the folder vpx and expand the VPX.cab file you will find the SQL scripts that install the SQL jobs. It's three files:

job_schedule1_mssql.sql.v3v4.t

job_schedule2_mssql.sql.v3v4.t

job_schedule3_mssql.sql.v3v4.t

Open them in a text editor and you will see the actual SQL script and that each job contain two steps.

I'll take schedule1 as example. You will find job name and description:

@job_name = N'Past Day stats rollup',

@description = N'This job is to roll up 5 min stats and should run every 30 mins',

Further below you see the two job steps and their actual SQL commands (two different stored procedures):

@step_name = N'Past day stats rollup',

@command = N'EXECUTE stats_rollup1_proc',

and

@step_name = N'Delete past day rolled up records',

@command = N'exec purge_stat1_proc',

Since SQL 2005 Express Edition do not have an SQL Agent to schedule jobs you could mimic the the Virtual Center SQL jobs by scheduling those stored procedures in OS scheduled task or using some other form of scheduler.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, excellent answer!

Ofcourse these jobs need to be "adjusted", so they run in Express & also do not try to create/save/delete jobs etc

Seb

0 Kudos
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC 2.5 checks the DB version and if it finds "Express Edition", VC2.5 runs the rollup jobs itself, much like VC2.0.x ran them for all databases versions.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You mean the VC client application itself?

Never seen it documented anywhere (hod did you find that out?)

Seb

0 Kudos
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know of this KB off the top of my head, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003570

From kb1003570 "Note: The SQL Server Agent is not available in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express. Historic data is managed by the VirtualCenter Server service."

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great, so nothing to worry about then when using Express edition

Seb

0 Kudos