VMware Cloud Community
johnlennon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Merging two Virtual Center servers into 1

Hello,

I need to merge 2 virtual center servers into 1. Each has its own MS SQL db with severa hosts, DRS, resource reservation, folders, datacenters, etc. that I would like to keep intact.

Is there a way to merge the two environments so that I could manage them from a single VC Server without having to redo all the customization, creating all resources, moving the VMs to the right folder and stuff? To some extent I don't care much about preserving the historic performance data, just not having to recreate the same layout.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bigfoot6
Contributor
Contributor

Hey

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I need exactly the same, we have two Virtual centers in India that we'd like to merge. I was thinking about just copying attributes from one SQL table to another. Is that way too simple?

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

No you cannot merge two vCenter servers into one. You would have to migrate the hosts and settings from one environment into the other.

The only other solution I can think of is to use linked mode so that you get a single view of your two vCenter environments.

Long term I would just wait until vSphere 5 comes out later this year and use that as an excuse to migrate both environments into a newer better vSphere 5 system.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
bigfoot6
Contributor
Contributor

They are linked, I have several virtual centers linked. The reason for consolidating the two virtual centers in India was due to maintenance renewals. If I powered down both virtual centers and wrote a SQL script to copy and insert the data from one database to the other, you don't think that would work?

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

I was interested to see if someone had come up with a manual or scripted process for this as I have needed to do this several times myself and I found the following;

http://www.gabesvirtualworld.com/cheap-disaster-recovery/

You could do a full scripted backup of one environment and then import it into another.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
bigfoot6
Contributor
Contributor

I basically managed to achieve this with a powercli script, that exported everything contained in one VC to the other.

http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2010/01/vcenter-powercli-migration-script.html

There if you like to know more, it worked very well Smiley Happy

0 Kudos