10 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2011 9:30 AM by regeter RSS

remote power on /wake on lan

marksman Lurker

Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a new server  (Intel Xeon x2, Windows 2003 server), to run several virtual machines on it under VMWare Server. Users logged into their VMs with RDP and everything was perfect.

However, a problem arised when the number of VMs grew up: the physical machine had not enough resources to keep every VM running and performance dropped. The solution seemed easy: just power off the VMs and start then only when needed, but my users don´t like it (they have little IT skills).

So the problem is: How to remote power on/wake on LAN a VM on a server easily? Can I run a remote script to power on a VMWare server Virtual machine?

Regards.

• 1. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
          Peter_vm Guru
          marksman wrote:

Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a new server  (Intel Xeon x2, Windows 2003 server), to run several virtual machines on it under VMWare Server. Users logged into their VMs with RDP and everything was perfect.

However, a problem arised when the number of VMs grew up: the physical machine had not enough resources to keep every VM running and performance dropped. The solution seemed easy: just power off the VMs and start then only when needed, but my users don´t like it (they have little IT skills).

So the problem is: How to remote power on/wake on LAN a VM on a server easily? Can I run a remote script to power on a VMWare server Virtual machine?

Sure. Create a script on host to poweron VM. Execute that script remotely to have desired effect.

• 2. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
            Promodus Novice

BUMP

I'm looking for a WOL solution within vmware workstation 6.

Thanks!.

• 3. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
              Promodus Novice

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "TRUE"

• 4. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
                dirtbikedude Enthusiast

Is there some sort of fix to do this on Windows Server 2003 running vmware workstation?

• 5. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
                  dirtbikedude Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't read that very well, Promodus where is that setting located so I can change it as well I'm having the same problem.

Thanks man!

• 6. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
                    Promodus Novice

The setting is located within the .vmx file. I had noticed that option there and made the changes however the wake on lan function for myself still is not working.

My idea was to take the wake on lan proxy and rather than proxy the WOL magic packet have the python script run the vmware command to start the machine

• 7. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
                      dirtbikedude Enthusiast

lol ok you lost me after you said it didn't work...lol can you rephrase that? I don't quite understand what you're saying on that last line...so you're talking about taking the wake on lan proxy within windows 2003 and doing what? I'm not real good with Python as you can tell. So did you end up writing a python script to do so? lol I know you're dealing with a noob here

• 8. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
                        Promodus Novice

The WOL script comes as both a python script and a perl script.

The script can be found here: http://freshmeat.net/projects/wolp/

My host for vmware is actually Linux rather than Windows server 2003.

From what I see there is two parts to the WOL Proxy scripts, a server to collect the WOL magic packets and the client to re-issue the WOL on another broadcast domain. (another local area network)

You can get the perl and or python interpreter for windows. How to set it up to  listen for WOL packets... I don't know. Someone may need to jump into the forum here.

• 9. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
                          bluglass Lurker

Hi,

I'm using VMware Server 2.0.2 and had a similar idea but haven't implemented it yet.  My thought was to use tshark to detect a WOL packet and then start a VM using a vmrun command if MAC address of a hosted VM is received.

Promodus, I'd be interested in taking a look at your scripts but I'm geting a 404 Not Found error from the link you posted, could you repost?

Thanks...

• 10. Re: remote power on /wake on lan
                            regeter Lurker

Did you get anywhere with this bluglass? I am currently toying with the same idea.