VMware Cloud Community
Apex1616
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to copy ISO files to LUN on iSCSI SAN

Hi,

I created a new LUN on our iSCSI SAN and want to be able to put iso images on this LUN so my VM's can mount the ISO's for installs of various software. Can some one tell me how I can copy these ISO's to the LUN on my SAN via my windows workstation? Is that possible?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No.

It will only do this if you're connecting to a 3.5 or 3i host, or to VC 2.5.

As Dave said, if you start the 2.5 client, and point it to a pre 2.5 Host or VC, it will actually start the excutable of the 2.0 client to connect, so you will not have the option.

To do what you want on 3.0.x hosts, you will need to use another method, like winscp or the other tools mentioned earlier.

You'll have to create an account on the ESX host which you can use to connect over ssh, or change the permit root login setting in the /etc/ssh/sshd.config file to yes to enable login with root.

Make sure winscp (or anything else probably) is using scp protocol and not sftp, i have noticed this fails on larger files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Either this:

Or this:

Both are good, but tunnelier has SSH, file transfer, and everything built in. They are both easy to use.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you created a vmfs datastore on this lun you can also upload the files from your workstation to the datastore via the VI client.

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

WinSCP is also an old standby:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
0 Kudos
Apex1616
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did create a VMFS datastore and I can see the LUN via the VI Client. I can browse the datastore but I still dont understand how to upload the iso image to this datastore from my windows workstation. Sorry can someone walk me thru the process?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, how would you upload files via the VI client. . . . .

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Click on the ESX host, browse the datastore. There is an icon to 'upload files from your workstation to this datastore'.

That's a new one. Thanks to java-cat33

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is also the only easy way I am aware of for getting iso's etc on a datstore with ESX 3i. Otherwise you would have to use the RCLI I think.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

bear in mind that this will only work with an esx 3.5 host.

Previous versions don't have this option.

It might be possible to do it with a 3.0.x host when using the new VI client, but i haven't tried that yet.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As you say it is only part of version 2.5 of the VI client and it will work when you connect directly to an ESX 3.5 / 3i host or to any 3.x host when you connect through VirtualCenter 2.5.

When you connect with the VI 2.5 client to a 3.0.x host, it actually launches the VI 2.0.2 client as the 2.5 client can not directly manage a 3.0.x host.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The RCLI includes the command vifs to copy files to and from your hosts.

0 Kudos
Apex1616
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont see the upload icon, but it appears as if its not available in the version I am using. So if I'm using VI Client 2.0.2 and VC is version 2.02 and I am connecting to an ESX 3i Host, I need to use RCLI? Can someone tell me what that is? Sorry, new here.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RCLI = Remote Command Line Interface.

since there is no console in 3i you need to run commands remotely.

You have to install the viperl on your computer, or download the VI perl appliance and it's a ready made VM to run the commands.

I had many problems figuring this out, but if you read the documentation carefully, it's all there on how to use the vi perl stuff.

0 Kudos
Apex1616
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, but do you think it would be easier to just upgrade my VI Client to ver 2.5? Can I do this even though my VC is still at version 2.02?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it would be easier.. however, there is a catch.

You can't run 2.5 VIC on a 3.0 host, the host has to be 3.5. You can't upgrade the host to 3.5 until you upgrade the VC to 2.5, because 2.0 VC can't manage 3.5 and higher hosts. You can't complete the VC 2.5 upgrade until you upgrade your database to the newer schema which takes 45 minutes...

So go for it if you want.. but either way there is some work to do Smiley Happy

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can connect directly to the ESX 3i host (http://) and download the VI 2.5 client from it and install it on your PC. You can have both the VI 2.5 and 2.0.2 client installed at the same time and you'll in fact want that if you need to manage both ESX 3.5 /3i and 3.0.x hosts. If you always start the VI 2.5 client, it will figure out if you actually need to run the VI 2.0.2 client (i.e. if you were connecting to VC 2.x or ESX 3.0.x) and will switch to the correct client automatically.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also, you will have to upgrade to VirtualCenter 2.5 to be able to manage your 3i host via it, but I wouldn't rush that to fix this issue as the VC db upgrade can be a challenge.

0 Kudos
Apex1616
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I was wrong I dont have 3i hosts, but rather I have 3.02 hosts. So if I understand this correctly I can install the VIC 2.5 on my workstation and also keep my VIC 2.0 and if I always start the VIC 2.5 it will figure out which one I need. But because I have the VIC 2.5 I can use the upload feature to upload the ISO to the datastore, right?

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No.

It will only do this if you're connecting to a 3.5 or 3i host, or to VC 2.5.

As Dave said, if you start the 2.5 client, and point it to a pre 2.5 Host or VC, it will actually start the excutable of the 2.0 client to connect, so you will not have the option.

To do what you want on 3.0.x hosts, you will need to use another method, like winscp or the other tools mentioned earlier.

You'll have to create an account on the ESX host which you can use to connect over ssh, or change the permit root login setting in the /etc/ssh/sshd.config file to yes to enable login with root.

Make sure winscp (or anything else probably) is using scp protocol and not sftp, i have noticed this fails on larger files.

0 Kudos
Apex1616
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you everyone. I was finally able to transfer the ISO images to the VMFS LUN on my iSCSI SAN. I ended up using the WinSCP program and using the SCP protocal to do it. I appreciate all of your help!!! I also look forward to 3.5 and the day when I can just upload it thru the VIC.

0 Kudos