6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 1:13 PM by idubrawsky

Console plugin installation fails on Firefox 3.0 beta 3

RGehrig Novice

When trying to install the console plug in in Firefox 3.0 beta 3 I receive the error below. The plugin install worked in Firefox 3 beta 2.

Firefox could not install this item because "install-ena..rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist. Please contact the author about this problem.

Followed by

Firefox could not install the file at

https://roz:8333/ui/plugin/vmware-vmrc-win32-x86.xpi

because: Unexpected installation error

Review the Error Console log for more details.

• 1. Re: Console plugin installation fails on Firefox 3.0 beta 3
          Expert

Thanks for letting us know. This will definitely be fixed for the release but I'm not sure we'll be able to get to it for the next beta.

• 2. Re: Console plugin installation fails on Firefox 3.0 beta 3
            RGehrig Novice

Just an update. The same failure occurs with Firefox 3 Beta 4.

• 3. Re: Console plugin installation fails on Firefox 3.0 beta 3 and 4
              SigmaEng Enthusiast

Hello,

this is wery typical when useing this kind of plugin based UI. This is not a best practise way to do UI and thats why this new WebUI is very poor solution and it will become huge problem and mess to keep it updated in Vmvare Server 2.

I don't believe that Vware will be ever able to support this method as rapidly as browser versions change. This is the major problem and Vmware must redesign the WebUI.

if you don't believe what I mean - look up a few messages, where they say that they can't solve this in next beta release. How much are you able to trust that Vmware's cabability to support new releases of Firefox and IE. Not much I must say!

Just for example, if there is huge security risk in the browser and Vmware can't follow up Mozilla's updates - you will have this kind of missusage problems.

Web-based management interface: A new Web-based user

interface provides a simple, flexible, intuitive and productive way for

you to manage your virtual machines."

Now you can see how flexible this is! There is no simpe solution for this, flexibility is zero nad now your productivity is also zero.

• 4. Re: Console plugin installation fails on Firefox 3.0 beta 3 and 4
                Neilly Enthusiast

SigmaEng, I completely agree. It also causes problems for those of us running 64-bit O.S's as I have experienced the failure of the console plugin to work properly (no display) on 64-bit SUSE with 64-bit Firefox 2. Sigh. This is clearly a direction that VMware is pursuing - that is the neutering of their products management interfaces and capabilites. Witness the loss of the Service Console in the newest version of ESX - replaced by a bunch of buggy scripts. Witness the ditching of ANY sort of Linux capable Virtual Infrastructure client/server - now you are forced into using Windows server and client. Now this. Sigh...

• 5. Re: Console plugin installation fails on Firefox 3.0 beta 3
                  idubrawsky Novice

When can we expect another VMware Server 2.0 beta release?  Or an RTM?  Not only can I not get the plug-in to work in Firefox 3.0 beta 4 under Vista but I can't get a console working under IE7 in Vista.  I can only get it to work on IE7 on Windows Server 2003 (and I'm going to try IE7 under XP in a little bit).  This particular VMware Server 2.0 beta version has been out almost 6 months.  I realize that it's probably low on the radar given that it's free but can we get an idea as to when the next build will be available?

Thanks,

Ido

• 6. Re: Console plugin installation fails on Firefox 3.0 beta 3
                    RGehrig Novice

I actually have it installed on x64 Vista, with IE7, and the console works. I am also working around the problem by running the console from IETab within Firefox.