VMware Communities
Jack_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Suggested Improvements

Hello all

Just installed Vmware Fusion 1.1.1 on my MBP. This is the first time I've used Fusion on a Mac since I'm more accustom of Vmware Workstation for Windows.

I was hoping Fusion would be more like Workstation.

Couple of things missing in Fusion that would make it much better

1. Tabs of Virtual Machines

2. Is there a way to not have the machines automatically start up whenever I open a machine? Typically when I open a machine, I'd rather not have it start up because I might want to change some settings.

3. It would be nice to have the option to type in another name for the virtual machine similar to Workstation's Options > Virtual Machine Name

All of my virtual machines are showing "Windows XP Professional" across the title bar. I'd like to be able to type in a machine name or description instead

4. Remove the gigantic Play/Start button after the machine is shut off. It would be more useful if the screen displayed the virtual machine's properties similar to Workstation

5. Fusion is missing a nice feature in Workstation called Snapshot manager. Please bring Snapshot manager to Fusion and the ability to type a description for a snapshot instead of having to rely on a time/date stamp.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I was hoping Fusion would be more like Workstation.

Fusion is a different product from Workstation, and is aimed more at consumers. It doesn't have as many features (e.g. multiple snapshots, record/replay, teams, etc.) but also costs less.

2. Is there a way to not have the machines automatically start up whenever I open a machine? Typically when I open a machine, I'd rather not have it start up because I might want to change some settings.

That's what the Settings button on the Library window is for.

3. It would be nice to have the option to type in another name for the virtual machine similar to Workstation's Options > Virtual Machine Name

All of my virtual machines are showing "Windows XP Professional" across the title bar. I'd like to be able to type in a machine name or description instead

4. Remove the gigantic Play/Start button after the machine is shut off. It would be more useful if the screen displayed the virtual machine's properties similar to Workstation

5. Fusion is missing a nice feature in Workstation called Snapshot manager. Please bring Snapshot manager to Fusion and the ability to type a description for a snapshot instead of having to rely on a time/date stamp.

The developers are aware that people would like 3, 4, and 5.

0 Kudos