VMware Cloud Community
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

P2V Windows Server with multiple logical disks - creates 1 vmdk

Hi - when using VMware Converter what is the reason for creating 1 vmdk file when doing a P2V of a server that has 2 disks? Why doesn't it create two vmdk files?

Do most people just run the converter several times selecting 1 disk at a time??

When I select the C: and 😧 volumes of the server and resize them - instead of creating 2x15GB vmdk's it creates a 30GB vmdk.

What's best??

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run Converter a 2nd time on the 😧 partition. But that creates a separate virtual machine from the first one. So you'd need to move the VMDK from the 2nd VM and add it to the first VM.

Most of my conversions are for dev and testing of existing machines so we need to have the identical disk layout or don't mind how the partitions are laid out. But in the few cases that I've had to split off the non-boot partitions, I simply use our normal restore procedures to restore the data at the file level. IOW, after I use Converter on C:, I grab the nightly backup and restore the 😧 and whatever else partitions. We use Livestate and Ghost for imaging the servers and workstations so it's a simple matter to restore non-boot partitions to any machine. But you can use any imaging program or even just simple file copy for data.

In one case I had, the 😧 parition was for simple file sharing so plugged a USB HD into the original server, XCOPYed everything on the 😧 to the USB drive, then walked the USB drive to my workstation and XOPYed everything up to the VM's 😧 parition. (Old fashioned sneaker net. Smiley Wink ) I figure, I don't need the most elegant solution. I just need to get the work done. :smileyblush:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looks like you only have one disk with two volumes

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Conveter creates a vmdk file per each "physical" disk it sees. If you have 2 partitions on the same disk, then you now have 2 partitions within that .vmdk file.

If you need 2, simply run converter twice (once per partition)

java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks guys - that makes sense. Yes it's a single mirror (1 volume) with two partitions. What's the main reason for having to break a mirror before a P2V?

And also what's best? Select both volumes when doing the P2V (which will create 1 vmdk), or select one partition at a time and run converter twice?

I can see a benefit of running the converter twice - for example if I needed to extend the size of one of the partitions I could? Or would you just recommend extending the partitions using the converter tool?

If you have one vmdk that has two partitions - wouldn't it be more difficult to extend one of the partitions?

I was thinking down the lines of using the vmkfstools....

Is that correct?

Sorry about all the questions.....

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

In simpliest terms, converter will create a basic disk from your dynamic disk. Your mirror will break if you dont break it now.

Running converter while it's on allows you to extend the partition since we can also clone using file-by-fie. Using vmkfstools will increase the disk but not the partition - you would need 3rd party software.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sorry - but I'm a bit confused.

The current box that I want to P2V has two partitions - C: and 😧 - the server has two disks creating one mirror. The disks are both basic, not dynamic. What do you mean that my mirror will break if I don't break it now????

Are you saying that it is best to create two vmdk's by running converter twice - one partition at a time?

I haven't done much in regards to P2V's....

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What they are trying to say is that Converter can work with basic or dynamic disks. But the dynamic disk must be a single physical disk. If you used Windows software RAID to make a RAID1 or "mirror" between two dynamic disks, you must "break" the mirror first before running Converter. If the software RAID is more than RAID1, (i.e.: RAID5) then Converter can't convert those disks.

Windows software mirroring only works with dynmaic disks so I am confused as to how you have a basic disk mirrored unless you have a hardware RAID controller. If that is so, then Windows only "sees" one HD, in which case you can ignore all this talk about "breaking mirrors" as it is only relevant to software RAID, not hardware RAID.

Simpler answer: Converter will try to create the same amount of "physical" disks as shown by Disk Manager. The disks you try to convert must have a unique set of drive letters. If the same drive letter is assigned to more than one physical disk, Converter doesn't work. (Thus hardware RAID is ok, but software RAID is not.)

If you currently have your C: & 😧 partitions on a single disk, then Converter will create the same; one disk with a C: & 😧 partition. If you wish to split the partitions to separate "disks" (separate VMDK files), then you need to run Converter but only select the boot partition (i.e.: C:.) Then start up the newly created virtual machine, and add a new blank hard drive. Copy the data from the original 😧 to the VM's 😧 in whatever manner you want. (XCOPY, Ghost, etc.)

java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks Asatoran! Yes I have hardware RAID. I never use software RAID. Great explanation. :smileygrin:

What do you do in this scenario? Create a vmdk with two partitions? Or do you P2V the server only selecting the C: partition?

Can't I then run converter and select the 😧 partition on the second time round?

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Then again I guess mounting a Shadow Protect within a VM and imaging the 😧 partition is not a biggie - still there must be another way....???

0 Kudos
jakganesh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You need to follow two process,

First you need to expand the virtual disk size using VMware Virtual Disk Manager .

after that you need to use thirdparty tools like

System Rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

GParted LiveCD http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Partition Logic http://partitionlogic.org.uk

EASEUS Partition Manager http://www.partition-tool.com

Paragon Partition Manager http://www.partition-manager.com

or you can use Windows DiskPart utility.

If you are using the Windows DiskPart utility, if you use the DiskPart utility to extend a system or boot volume, you may get an error. For more information about extending partitions with the DiskPart utility,see kb325590 in microsoft site.

Jak
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run Converter a 2nd time on the 😧 partition. But that creates a separate virtual machine from the first one. So you'd need to move the VMDK from the 2nd VM and add it to the first VM.

Most of my conversions are for dev and testing of existing machines so we need to have the identical disk layout or don't mind how the partitions are laid out. But in the few cases that I've had to split off the non-boot partitions, I simply use our normal restore procedures to restore the data at the file level. IOW, after I use Converter on C:, I grab the nightly backup and restore the 😧 and whatever else partitions. We use Livestate and Ghost for imaging the servers and workstations so it's a simple matter to restore non-boot partitions to any machine. But you can use any imaging program or even just simple file copy for data.

In one case I had, the 😧 parition was for simple file sharing so plugged a USB HD into the original server, XCOPYed everything on the 😧 to the USB drive, then walked the USB drive to my workstation and XOPYed everything up to the VM's 😧 parition. (Old fashioned sneaker net. Smiley Wink ) I figure, I don't need the most elegant solution. I just need to get the work done. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Whatever works aye

Both methods seem to be OK

Thanks once again for your assistance

0 Kudos
vmotionhem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any option to create separte disk instead of run convertor 2 times 

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, on Conversion Options step in New Conversion wizard select "Data to copy" page, switch to "Advanced" view and select "Destination" layout page. There you can add or remove virtual disks and move volumes between the disks.

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you please send me link of p2v convertor because i am using 4.3 version convertor in which i am not getting option.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is there in 4.3 as well. Are you converting a physical machine or a VM source?

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am converting physical machine which having single physical disk with two logical volume. But i have checked with advanced option but no luck

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not the "Advanced options", but "Data to copy" options.

When you select Data to copy in the tree on the left, there is another "advanced" option in the page on the right. When you switch to advanced view, there are two tabs - source layout and destination layout. You need to switch to destination layout and there you have the option to add disks and move volumes.