1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 12:52 PM by devzero

Are they going to bring back the Server Console?

bjrosen Novice

Does VMware plan to bring back the Server Console? If so will it be in Beta 2? The reaction to the new Web based interface has been universally scathing, is anyone at Vmware aware of the level of discontent with the horrible web UI?

• 1. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
          Expert

We're well aware of all the complaints people have. That's why it's taking so long for the next beta.

We've made a bunch of fairly significant changes that will debut in the next beta, with more to come in subsequent releases. Please bear with us..

• 2. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
            Peter_vm Guru
            rrdharan wrote:

We're well aware of all the complaints people have. That's why it's taking so long for the next beta.

We've made a bunch of fairly significant changes that will debut in the next beta, with more to come in subsequent releases. Please bear with us..

I will take this answer as NO.

• 3. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
              invisnet Novice
              rrdharan wrote:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. On the plus side, at least someone reads the forums once in a while. On the minus, by not answering the question you have in fact answered the question: we are clearly not going to have the console back.

• 4. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                oytunsan Lurker

Hi,

I strongly support vmware's decision of abandoning win console. I think current web technologies allows creating web apps as usable as windows apps plus more easy access and platform independence.

But I must agree current web application is not working at all. Sorry if it would be rude but it looks like php apps I wrote back in high school. In fact a little worse.

I try to use it with both firefox and IE with no luck. Axaj requests usually hang at certain windows and looks like there is no solid ajax framework behind, activex has loading problems etc. This UI is no where near beta quality.

I used MS Virtual Server before. Vmware is superior in core virtualization and api access methods, but MS' UI (which is also a web based one) is simple, solid and does the job.

I just cant understand why a firm which can develop a bleeding edge product such as DRS cant develop a simple web ui.  Hope next release will fix all this issues.

• 5. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                  devzero Master

>I think current web technologies allows creating web apps as usable as windows apps plus more easy access and platform independence.

i think this is nonsense. it`s the same type as that former "write once, run everywhere - java - nonsense"

• 6. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                    oytunsan Lurker

Of course you may disagree but as an example gmail is A LOT better then any mail client out there.

If a web mail client can be better, a management console can be better too. I suggest you to have a look ar ms virtual server

And  for "write ones run everywhere" it is an idea, a goal which change all the programming paradigims. It is mostly completed anyway. Netbeans as an example: works on win, linux, mac, solaris

If it was up to you we would still be writing cobol or some other ancient language.

Again  you may disagree

• 7. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                      bjrosen Novice

The Console serves two functions, it's used to create, configure and control VMs and it's used as a virtual display for running VMs. The first function, managing VMs, can be handled by a web application, the second, a virtual display, can't. There is absolutely no way a JAVA application can have the performance needed to serve as a virtual display.

If VMware never had the Server Console there might be some rational reason for writing a JAVA app for this function but the fact is they do have a the Server Console and it works just fine. It does everything you need it to do and the performance is very good. It runs on Linux and Windows so the portablity problem is already solved. So why abandon something that works to replace it with something that can never work.

• 8. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                        oytunsan Lurker

an active x control can very well has the same performance (which does not run on linux native) , but a java control may or may not, I dont have an expertise on this.

Since I use remote desktop, or vnc for connectivity right after installing a guest os I have never spend a long time with the virtual display.

Things dont have to stop working for you to abandon them. Web applications are clearly the way to go.

-IF- vmware would manage to write a decent UI we would be able to control our virtual machines even from a pocket pc. An emergency restart for instance.

I repeat my opinion vmware made the right decision but the very wrong implementation.

• 9. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                          Expert
                          bjrosen wrote:

The Console serves two functions, it's used to create, configure and control VMs and it's used as a virtual display for running VMs. The first function, managing VMs, can be handled by a web application, the second, a virtual display, can't.

For what it's worth, this is somewhat in line with our own beliefs on the subject and I think you'll be reasonably pleased with the next beta.

• 10. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                            jp10558 Lurker

I don't know about the web app not able to be a virtual console. Ever used LogMeIn? It works pretty well in any browser I've tried (Opera, Firefox). Not quite as fast as the VMware 1.x console app, but plenty usable.

• 11. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                              Harald Heigl Enthusiast

I don't see the your severe problems.

Ok there are problems like:

1) When you remove or add a datastore, the "Loading ..." doesn't disappear.

2) some values in the management part are cut off (only firefox, IE shows scroll bars)

3) On my WinXP SP2 I had to change a config file, because of a "mock-server".

These things are somehow a little bit anoying I agree, but it's beta, no severe problem which can't be fixed.  And who says that the application can't be as fast over browser as with a "normal" application. I have used the VMWare per plugin (Firefox 2.0.0.12, IE 7) and through a bridged network and vnc and there where no performance issues at all, all over the last 2 months. I like the idea of using a web-browser, the 100MB of the tomcat are not worth mourning (nobody runs a VMWare-Server on a 512MB notebook, at least it's not designed to).

resume: It runs stable, fast, the management is sometimes a little bit faulty, but never severe. (Perhaps VMware should include the VIC-client not only in the linux-portion, for those, who don't like the web-access)

I don't know the configuration of your host systems, but I don't see your problems.

(Actually I see more problems with NFS - CIFS, which is more severe, already filed an SR, but still unassigned after more than 2 weeks)

• 12. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                                lgj Lurker

+For what it's worth, this is somewhat in line with our own beliefs on

the subject and I think you'll be reasonably pleased with the next beta.+

Sounds good. An idea, even very apprioximate, when the next beta is out?

• 13. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                                  Peter_vm Guru
                                  lgj wrote:

+For what it's worth, this is somewhat in line with our own beliefs on

the subject and I think you'll be reasonably pleased with the next beta.+

Sounds good. An idea, even very apprioximate, when the next beta is out?

When it is ready. I would rather be interested in date of production release....

• 14. Re: Are they going to bring back the Server Console?
                                    markokobal Enthusiast

Hi,

Read my recent post "News about the Server 2.0 from VMWORLD EUROPE 2008" (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/129806?tstart=0). There are many reasons why they are dropping the WMware Server Console. And as much as the Web Console - in the live demo at conference session the Server 2.0 beta 2 preview looks quite fine... I guess in about two months we will be able to download the beta 2.

Kind regards, Marko.

1 2 Previous Next