VMware Cloud Community
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMWare tools do not install automatically- ESX 3.5

When I select to install VMWare tools on a Windows 2003 SP2 guest, the task runs successfully "Initiated VMWare tools installer Mount" and it mounts the media within the guest - however it does not install the tools unless I run through the steps on the mounted media.

I am connected to the host directly (not using VC) as this is not built yet.

Why aren't the tools installing and rebooting the guest as per previous versions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The automatic start of VMTools setup rely on the guess OS having autorun enabled - the same method used to automatically start a program when you insert a Windows, SQL, Exchange or other CD.

If autorun is disabled in group policy or blocked by antivirus software, the tools' setup will not be able to run automatically. Perhaps this is the cause in your case?

java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Now alarm bells are ringing - didn't think about that one. I implemented a GPO a week or so ago disabling autorun as a security request by the network team. Will look into it today and let you know how I get on.

However on a few other new ESX's we had the same problem - this was before the autorun was disabled via GPO.....

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The GPO is not applied to this server..... so it's not autorun being disabled....

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have sorted this - VMware tools only install automatically if performing an upgrade.... not a new install.

0 Kudos
gdcartjr
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious but does the VM have a cdrom drive? I ran into this problem with VM's that did not have a virtual cd drive for it to mount the ISO file in.

Could be related.

0 Kudos