VMware Cloud Community
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

HP Agents 7.9.0 on ESX V3.0.1

Guys, when I install the HP Agents 7.9.0 on my ESX 3.0.1 system I get issues with my SMH. I find that that the SMH is pretty useless and doesn't detail any of the componets on my system

All it tells me is that there are " no degareded items".

I've noticed a few other posts about spawened process's with ver 7.9.0 but I can't work out if this is related to my issue.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

This is a known issue. The work-around is to stop and start the SNMP daemon. Do a 'service snmpd restart' and HP system management home page should wake up. HP documented fix is to stop hpasmd, stop snmpd, start snmpd then start hpasmd, and it may take 3 times. But just restarting snmpd works for us.

The real fix per HP is to be in version 8.0, which is do out shortly. HP 7.9.1 agents fix the zombie issue, which you may not have seen as yet. But the HP 7.9.1 agents have the timeout issue, and introduce a HP IML false error reporting issue, which is also to be fixed in 8.0.

More details on the above is in the forums here,

0 Kudos
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Schorschi, thought this was the case.

Could you confirm that its the hpasmd service that I should be restarting, or should it be the hpasm service.

I don't appear to have the hpasmd service

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

It is 'hpasm', some of the daemons have 'd' some don't, guess I was thinking 'd' of snmpd when I typed my reply.

0 Kudos
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

Folks, I'm still having an issues with my HP Agents scripted install.

When I use the hpmgmt.conf file below to install the HP Agents (7.9.0 on ESX 3.0.1) the Systems Management Homepage (SMH) is not populated. I appreciate that there is an issue with this and the recommended fix is to stop and start the hpasm and snmpd services. I've done this several time on the host and the SMH is still not populated.

However, if I do a manual install the SMH is populated correctly. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Did you try just stopping and starting SNMP daemon. And only that? This often wakes up the system management page, no more time-outs.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

my advise to you would also be to really consider upgrading to 7.9.1 because of all the known issues with 7.9.0

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01297136&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Correct 7.9.1, avoids zombie sh issue.

8.0 is scheduled for about 3/10 or 3/17 but warning, it has slipped once already, was at one time scheduled for about 2/21.

0 Kudos
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Schorschi, apologies but I meant to point out that I had just tried a stop and start on only the SNMP daemon.

Still no joy.

0 Kudos
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Troy, thanks for the response. I was previously told that the SMH "time out" issue had not been resolved in version 7.9.1

I think its something to do with my scripted install. As stated, the SMH page loads if I do a manual install.

Is there anyway that I can verify the install? Any Log files etc?

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

There is. I just don't recall where the file is by default, I think log is in hpmgmt/791, I think we redirected output to /var/log/hpagent.log, but I need to check our build scripting to be sure... been a while since I was mucking around in the scripting.

0 Kudos