VMware Cloud Community
steven_dahlin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"failed to log into nfc server" during upload of file to a datastore

While trying to load a file upto a datastore folder I received the following cryptic error:

Failed to log into nfc server

I am unclear as to what this is since there is only 1 hit for this in the vmware forums (2 hits on google). Nothing really which really answers what this means or how to fix it in my situation. Is it possible that nfc was mispelled and it was supposed to say nfs? Even then I am still unclear how to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Steve

31 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Not too sure what is causing your specific issue however I was receiving NFC write timeout's a while back when trying to connect to Virtual Center however this turned out to be as a result of a database lock/stuck operation..

We had the DBA's clear the locks, then started the VI service and where able to log back in to Virtual Center.

Thought this may help in some way..

How are you trying to load the file's in to your datastore?

j_hurst
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this recently and since I couldn't find anything online either I thought I would reply even though this is a bit old.

In my case my client does not sit on the same network as the ESX server. I found that in order to upload files using the Datastore Browser port 902 has to be opened between the client and the server. For me my sites' firewall between the networks was blocking port 902. Without port 902 being opened I would recieve the Failed to Log into NFC Server error message.

Hope that helps,

James

jimbo1011
Contributor
Contributor

I received this error when i was trying to upload a large tar file (2Gb). While attempting to upload the file, it failed with an I/O error. I then attempted to upload it again and i received the "failed to log into nfc server". It looks like this error was generated as the file i was attempting to upload failed and must of been cached in some sort of memory so when i attempted to upload it again, there was a conflict.

Also....the reason my large file would not upload was with issues around the network connection (e.g network card set to 'auto negotiate'). Made this a fixed speed and works a treat now. No I/O error and no nfc error. Phew!

UConnAndy
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem. At first i thought it was an issue with the iSCSI datastore i added from FREENAS, but i've since tried to upload a vmdk to the primary ESX datastore and i'm getting the errors.

First error was an i/o error then unable to log into the NFS server after another try. I checked firewall ports and all relevant ports are open. I was able to upload a small file once, but that now does not work.

Has anyone cracked this mystery??

0 Kudos
philGoz
Contributor
Contributor

I've had this problem recently as well.

I was able to fix it in case, by making sure the service consoles default gateway was set correctly.

Hope this helps.

Davita
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue as Jimbo1011...

My workstation's NIC was set to Auto. Set it to 100full and the file uploaded to the datastore without issue. Way quicker than in the past too - for 600MB (Windows Server 2003 ISO), it took 1.5 minutes whereas before it would say 70 minutes remaining... and then fail.

0 Kudos
Tim_Young
Contributor
Contributor

I also encountered this problem. After verify that the VC Client and VC Server were on the same subnet (i.e. port 902 is not been blocked) and the NIC with fixed speed and duplex (i.e. not set to "auto-negotiate") I was still getting this error, even for a small file

So I tried running the VC Client connecting directly to the ESX server... and it works.

So I think this issue is with file been upload via the Virtual Center server.

SteveA1
Contributor
Contributor

I disconnected a host, then reconnected it again. All resource pools disappeared, all VMs are orphaned. When attempting to download any file from the datastore to the VI Client machine I get the "Failed to log into NFC server" message.

Port 902 is open, the VI client and Server are the same machine, the ESX host is on the same subnet, the operation proeviously worked on previous days.

I can recoved the VM by removing them for the inventory and addinig them again.

Any suggested to resolve the NFC issue?

TIA

Steve A

0 Kudos
joesixpack
Contributor
Contributor

Restarting VC service fixed this for me.

0 Kudos
SteveA1
Contributor
Contributor

I initially had VC installed on XP. Things were working OK. I then moved VC to a W2003 system with the license server still on the XP system. I experienced the prblem on the W2003 system, everything else seemed to work OK.

I've gone back to VC on the XP system, and the problem has gone away. I don't know what the problem was, or why going back to the XP system fixed it. Perhaps it was a license issue.

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
Eldron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was experiencing this issue as well. I had open ports, so I knew that was not it. A restart of the VC server service did the trick for me.

0 Kudos
JefferyCheong
Contributor
Contributor

Found that restarting the "VMware VirtualCenter Server " on the actual box i was running VC from fixed this issue.

0 Kudos
markpace
Contributor
Contributor

The laptop I'm running VC client has 2 connections, one to the internal network that VC is on, and a connection to the "real" internet. I had to disable the NIC that has the real world IP address.

0 Kudos
jleit
Contributor
Contributor

i had to login direct to the ESX server and upload it then, this solved the problem for me.

0 Kudos
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Restarting the VC server fixed this problem for me. Must have been some types of SQL locked up.

0 Kudos
ErikBrr
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this was the solution for me to :smileygrin: thanks.

khantrol
Contributor
Contributor

My workstation is not a member of the domain that the Virtual Enterprise lives on. I was unable to upload files to the datastore and unable to connect to the console from inside of VC.

I was able to resolve this error by adding an entry in my workstation's "hosts" file to resolve the names of the ESX Hosts and the VMs.

0 Kudos
RichardJackson2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have looked at this thread and done everything here ... then I rebooted after installation of Vshere client and everything worked .... 😉 ... dont think I rebooted after what was a long slow install ....

Richard

0 Kudos
saporati
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me too.

No way trying to upload the file using the VC (everything checked: ports, NIC speed and duplex..) but it worked fine connecting directly to the ESX server.

Thanks.

Salvatore

0 Kudos