VMware Cloud Community
Peter_Cox
Contributor
Contributor

VI Client V3.5 compatability with ESX3.0.x servers

So far for me the upgrade documentation has failed to clarify this question-

In a mixed environment (ESX3.0.x and ESX3.5 servers, VC 2.2 and 2.5 Servsrs) is the VI Client from ESX3.5 backward compatable with these combinations of ESX and VC?

The inference is to upgrade VI Client immediately after the first ESX3.5 or VC 2.5 installation and use the new version for admin of all VI3.x systems.

Has anyone any first hand experience?

Having to run two versions of VI Client during the transition would be less than desirable, particularly for admin workstations working with both old and new server deployments

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Haven't tried it with VC 2.0x and 2.5, but I have with VC 2.5 and ESX 3.5 and 3.0.x, If you have only the VI 2.5 client install and try to connect directly to the ESX 3.0.x host, it will prompt you to download and install the VC 2.0.2 client (see image). After the VI 2.0.2 client, is nistalled you can always start the VI 2.5 client and it will figure out which client you need to run.

0 Kudos
lcflyer
Contributor
Contributor

The same applies for VC 2.2 and VC 2.5. You end up with two clients installed on all workstations you use to access VC or the VI3.0x and 3.5 hosts directly.

Very messy. After I get through with my migration to 3.5 I now have to go to multiple workstations and uninstall the VI2.0 client. Like you said, lots of admin overhead.

0 Kudos
kurtwest
Contributor
Contributor

I have 2 VC upgraded and one is not upgraded from 2.0.2. If I open the new client and log into the 2.0.2 VC it launches the old client and passes my credentials to the old client and logs me in. A lot of the time it doesn't work though. It appears to only send half my password to the old client and then I have to retype my password in the old client once it gets opened. I don't know if that makes sense typed out, but it is annoying having to retype my password all the time.

0 Kudos