2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2008 6:39 PM by plasmoidia

Cannot start virtual machines with server 1.0.4

plasmoidia Novice

I just installed Server 1.0.4 on Fedora 8 x86_64.  I am running on a box with an Athlon 64 x2, socket 939 processor (so, sadly, no virtualization instructions).  I have the latest Fedora 8 updates, running kernel 2.6.23.14-107.fc8.  Install and setup went smoothly and the Server Console connects just fine.  However, when I go to start a virtual machine, I immediately get an error:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:

End of error message.

And nothing else happens.  I have tried server different VMs (64-bit and 32-bit), including an appliance I have run on other machines, but no change.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?  Is there anything I can do to get some useful output to debug the problem?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cannot start virtual machines with server 1.0.4
          plasmoidia Novice

Aha, I just found the "Run with debugging information" under Options, Advanced.  Now I get an error out of it:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:

vmxvmdb: Index name being generated from config file

POST(no connection): Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 138.0, got 137.0.

You have an incorrect version of the `vmmon' kernel module.

Try reinstalling VMware Server.

POST(no connection): Failed to initialize monitor device.

Failed to initialize VM.

End of error message.

The vmmon kernel module shows up in lsmod.  I had to install the vmware-any-any-update115 to get it to compile.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

• 2. Re: Cannot start virtual machines with server 1.0.4
            plasmoidia Novice

Okay, I was able to fix the problem.  The short version is I had to run vmware-config.pl twice to get it to build the correct version of the vmmon kernel module.

Long explanation:

The vmware-any-any-update115 uses  a script getversion.pl to determine for what version of VMware the vmmon module should be built.  It calls:

vmware -v < /dev/null 2>&1

to determine the version.  Unfortunately, if you have not run vmware-config.pl before (which is impossible since the vmmon won't compile...), the command errors out saying that vmware-config.pl has not been run.  In the process, it does not actually give the version.

So, the first time vmware-config.pl is run, it builds the module for the wrong version.  The second time, the above command works, since everything is configured now, and builds the module with the correct version.