VMware Cloud Community
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Setting up a secondary Vswif for the secondary HA heartbeat

My question is about setting up a secondary Vswif for the secondary HA heartbeat. In the advanced configurations section of HA you can set das.isolationaddress2 = does it matter if the #2 is at the end of das.isolationaddress Can it be a 1 or a 3 or 0? Can you have a third. Not sure why you would need it but wondering if it can be done.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are correct and that is how the document i sent you has it set up. Even If I lose a physical switch i'm still o.k. The second COS will act is it is the first and and and HA failure will not kick in The host will go down, but no HA failure. my .1 address is a common gateway address that all servers can see, that is why I put it in there.

I could be wrong, since this scenario is not how we have it set up... but from my understanding and the document I showed VMware, it will work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I went over this with VMware not to long ago. Attached is a docuent and the top is what I was told is there recommended configuration.

After I made this documetn I found out that vmnic0 and vmnic1, the onboard nics, go to different physical swithces. So the scenario goes COS and VMotion on 0 and 1 and VM Network and vmnic2 and 3.

Hope this makes sense.

Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

should the ip in the HA config be 108 instead of 1 ?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the .1 ip is the gateway for our VMKernal VLAN. If you sharing the COS and the VMkernal port they have to have a common gateway. You can't use multiple gateways with two Service Consoles

Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ok. I am still a bit confused

This is what I found

Setting more than one isolation response address

New in VC 2.0.2: more than one isolation response address can be specified, and

each service console network should have a different isolation response address

defined (by default, only the gateway of the first console network is used)

Select a cluster->VMware HA->Advanced Options , and add the

das.isolationaddress2 = represents the secondary IP addresses to use

Here

http://kb.vmware.com/Platform/Publishing/attachments/1002080_fHA_Tech_Best_Practices.pdf

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are correct and that is how the document i sent you has it set up. Even If I lose a physical switch i'm still o.k. The second COS will act is it is the first and and and HA failure will not kick in The host will go down, but no HA failure. my .1 address is a common gateway address that all servers can see, that is why I put it in there.

I could be wrong, since this scenario is not how we have it set up... but from my understanding and the document I showed VMware, it will work.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I looked at it again and now it makes sence what you were telling me. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
John_S1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you clarify one point for me? We have the same setup as you outlined in Scenario #2. But our .1 is not pingable. Does the das.isolationaddress2 have to be pingable?

0 Kudos