VMware Cloud Community
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

Initiating FTP Copy via Kickstart

Guys, I have a pretty standard kickstart script that I use to build and post install my ESX 3.0.1 hosts. During the post section I'd like to copy several standard config files from my CD to the host. i.e ntp.conf, step-tickers, and so on.....

The problem I have is that I start the copy after the initial build has completed and the host has rebooted..... therefore my CD has ejected from the CD drive and the copy fails.

Could anyone offer any solutions...

I'd like to either.... copy the files during the initial install, or get the files from an FTP server.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
demz
Expert
Expert

If you have a few config files to deploy, you can echo them into files in the %post section,

like Mike Laverick do :

cat > /etc/your_config_file << EOF

your config file content here

EOF

Or in fact, your can wget them if you put those file on a FTP or HTTP server.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

Is wget available in the COS?

0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

Unfortunately not...

But check out this post :

http://communities.vmware.com/message/592651

I think that will do your stuff...

Regards,

0 Kudos
Stuarty1874
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

When I use the lwp-download command to download my HP.tgz file it works fine. When I use the lwp-download command to down my ntp.conf file I get a 404 error.

My IIS server is running w2k3.

Are there any issues with downloading certain types of files using lwp-download?

0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

No, as far I know any filetypes are supported.

However if the file is from a windows system, you might add the -a option in order to transfer it as an ASCII file.

Use the "-a" option to save the file in text (ascii) mode. Might make a difference on dosish systems.

But that will not solve your issue. Are you sure the file is present is the right directory you're trying to access ?

If yes, I have no idea of the problem's origin... sorry...

0 Kudos