VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Moving non-standard VM to new SAN

I'm not quite sure if this is considered a unique move, but since it's different than our other Storage migrations I thought I better double check. We have a VM which is a database server which was rather large when we converted it. A little background on the server: Composed of about 7 partitions, 2 of them being for the most part archive which rarely change but are rather big in size, one being about 70gb and the other around 350gb.

So when we did the conversion, we created a VM with the name DB-Data, made a couple drives 70gb/350gb under that server (so the vmdk files would have a reconizable name) and then removed them from that server, and added them to a helper vm. From the helper vm, with db-data.vmdk and db-data-2.vmdk attached, we copied the data from the physical server archive to the two db-data drives. When the time came to convert the rest of the physical database server, we simply attached those db-data vmdk's to that box and everything has worked great.

My question comes, we need to do a storage migration of this database server and all drives attached to it. Will we need to do anything special for those db-data vmdk files since they are techinically part of a different VM all together, or will this database server see that the hard drives are attached to it and move it automatically?

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Neth66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the VM sees the disks, then they are part of that VM. There shouldn't be any problem doing a storage migration. If you have the disks stored in different locations however, you may want to click on the "advanced" button (I think it's called advanced) and make sure that the paths for all the disks are where you want them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Neth66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the VM sees the disks, then they are part of that VM. There shouldn't be any problem doing a storage migration. If you have the disks stored in different locations however, you may want to click on the "advanced" button (I think it's called advanced) and make sure that the paths for all the disks are where you want them.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ok thanks, I'll make sure to check out the disk paths when the migration is finished.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Neth66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can specify paths for each disk before you start the migration.

0 Kudos