VMware Cloud Community
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dell 2950 VT technology - enable or disable

Hello all,

We have 4 Dell 2950 servers running ESX 3.0.2. The VT technology is disabled by default from the BIOS. I was told by our Dell rep that it should be enable. However, there are multiple threads in the forum stating it should only be enable if we have any guest running 64 bits OS. Is it true that VT should only be enable if we are running 64bits OS guest? Does anyone have any whitepaper or documentation regarding this question? Thank you in advance for any comments.

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I just wish there was some doc either from Dell, Intel or VM on this.

This might help: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/vmware30.pdf (page 17). It is found at www.dell.com/vmware > Support Documents > Dell VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3.0.x Deployment Guide

But i guess it gives you no new information. You already have the answer.

Bala

Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kurtwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know I have only needed to enable it when running 64-bit VM's. I don't have any documentation for you though.

chandlm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I had seen that same issue go back and forth also. I went ahead and enabled it on my 8 host farm (all 2950s) and been running for 6+months without issue. I think originally there were some questions as to whether it was causing issues similar to 32 bit apps on a 64 bit host but I couldn't find anything substantial to keep me from trying it.

mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want to have a 64bit guest, it MUST be on. It wont cause any problems if its on and you have only 32 bit guests - in fact, it wont even be USED for a 32bit guest.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am convince that turning it on won't hurt and that it NEED to be on for 64bits guest. I just wish there was some doc either from Dell, Intel or VM on this. If anyone find any doc like that, please share.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would enable it just for the future, when you might need it if you run Exchange 2007 or something like that. And ESX 3.5 supports Para-virtualization and hardware assist, so this would be benificial for sure: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware_paravirtualization.pdf

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I just wish there was some doc either from Dell, Intel or VM on this.

This might help: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/vmware30.pdf (page 17). It is found at www.dell.com/vmware > Support Documents > Dell VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3.0.x Deployment Guide

But i guess it gives you no new information. You already have the answer.

Bala

Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I enable VT Extensions by default, as far as I have seen it does no harm. not enabling it causes more issues, because sooner or later you or somebody else is going to want to install a 64bit Guest and unless VT Extensions are enabled you will not be able to.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
xAyiDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My tip is to have it enabled as above states but I would turn of hyperthreading just to be able to get faster response frmo the machines.

0 Kudos
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all, the doc was exactly what I was looking for!!!

Daniel

0 Kudos