VMware Cloud Community
halr9000
Commander
Commander

Scheduled Tasks and Alarms

@VMware: When can we expect cmdlets for working with scheduled tasks and alarms?

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We're not planning cmdlets to deal with alarms or scheduling tasks for this release. For now you can deal with these using the extensibility cmdlets (views and entity views.)

If you have any thoughts on how you might like to use alarms in particular, that would be helpful for us. Would you like to do something like launch a long-running powershell script that waits for alarms to come in and takes actions based on them, or would you prefer to use other tools to do things like that?

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander

Not quite sure yet, just exploring at the moment. But I think a polling powershell app would be a waste of resources, it would be better I think to install powershell on your VC server, then have alarms trigger script executions.

What I had in mind when I mentioned both alarms and events was an idea I'm playing with to be able to recreate our team's VI for other departments. The idea would be to do the ESX installs, then VC, then run a powershell script that could queue off a bunch of tasks to create alarms and events that come from my team's best practices documentation. None of which exists yet so I'm thinking ahead a little bit. Smiley Happy I imagine services shops could use such a model to automate a large VI.

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
aevrov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The cmdlets for alarms are here with the new PowerCLI 4.1 Update 1 release. Here's a blog illustrating the usage of the new cmdlets - .

Regards,

-Angel

0 Kudos