4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2008 3:17 PM by WoodyZ

Why does my USB DVD-RAM device show in Windows XP as "disk structure corrupted and unreadable"?

Jim DeLaHunt Novice

Why does my USB DVD-RAM device show in Windows XP as "disk structure corrupted and unreadable"?

Host: Apple MacBook Pro 15" laptop, Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard", current update.

VMWare Fusion Version 1.1 (62573). VMWare Tools upgrade applied.

Guest: MS Windows XP Professional

USB Device: Samsung external DVD writer model SE-S204N, shows as "TSSTcorp USB Mass Storage Device".

To reproduce:

• boot up Mac OS X host OS, VMWare Fusion guest OS suspended

• Plug in USB drive SE-S204N with focus on Mac host OS.

• Insert Music audio CD in USB drive. (I've had same results with every one of 5-10 CD's I've tried.) Mac OS X mounts CD, iTunes starts to play it. Finder can navigate file system.

• Eject audio CD. Unplug USB drive.

• boot up the Windows guest OS.

• Plug in USB drive SE-S204N with focus on Windows guest OS. USB icon appears at bottom of VMWare Fusion window for guest.

• VMWare Fusion... Virtual Machine menu... USB... Connect TSSTcorp USB Mass Storage Device. Confirm that Windows XP's "My Computer" shows "DVD-RAM Drive (F:)"

• Insert Music audio CD in USB drive. (I've had same results with every one of 5-10 CD's I've tried.) Drive spins. Drive's icon in Windows XP's "My Computer" changes to "CD Drive (F:)" and icon shows CD with tag "CD-ROM"

• Double-click on CD icon in my computer.

Observed behaviour:

• Error Alert appears: "My Computer.  |  F:\ is not accessible. | The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

Expected behaviour:

• Windows opens CD Volume, starts Windows Media Player, begins playing audio on the CD

Notes:

System behaves as expected when I insert this same audio CD into internal DVD drive of the host MacBook Pro.

I have a second external USB DVD drive, a SONY DRX-800UL, which behaves as expected when I insert this same audio CD.  It mounts on this guest OS as "DVD-RW Drive (E:)". 

I have a second guest OS, Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop, under the same host instance of VMWare Fusion 1.1 on the same host hardware. The subject  Samsung SE-S204N drive and audio CD behave as expected on this guest OS.

Because the symptoms are the same regardless of test audio CD, I don't think the CD is the culprit.

Because it's inconceivable to me that Samsung would have shipped this product if it failed in this way with a conventional Windows XP installation, I don't think Windows is the culprit.

Because the Samsung SE-S204N drive behaves correctly outside of the subject guest OS, including on a different guest OS, I don't think it is solely the culprit. It might interact with VMWare Fusion, though.

I've looked at the log file inside the guest OS's .vmwarevm bundle directory. I see some lines of the log that mention the USB drive, but nothing obviously informative.

I've searched the knowledgebase, docs, and forums, (both for Fusion and other VMWare products) and I don't find anything relevant to this situation. 

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for your help.