Jump to solution

ESX 3.x NIC setup question

Hello all

ESX 3.0.2

I have an Intel dual nic MT.

In the Vmware Infrastructure client > Configuration > Network Adapters

1. vmnic0 = vSwitch0

2. vmnic1 = None

In Networking (Configuration > Hardware)

1. Physical Adapters = vmnic0

2. All of my virtual machines are in the Virtual Switch: vSwitch0

In the Service Console Port is set to vmnic0

Ideally I like to have Nic0 for the virtual machines and Nic1 for the service console port

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you'd like to split the service console onto vmnic1, then you'll

1) Create a new virtual switch and assign vmnic1 to it (configuration \ networking \ add networking - you can then select Service Console port and on the next screen you'll be able to create a new virtual switch with vmnic1). You'll have to assign a unique IP address for the new service console port and if you're going to leave the SC port on the same subnet as the current SC subnet then you don't have to change the default gateway.

2) Once you have create the new SC port and tested it, you can delete the SC port on vSwitch0.

As an alternative, I would suggest adding vmnic1 to vswitch0 and leaving both the SC and VM ports on that vswitch. That way the failure of either vmnic0 or 1 will have not a significant impact on the host. If you're concerned about the security of having the SC port on the same vswitch, you could add a VLAN to the SC port.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you'd like to split the service console onto vmnic1, then you'll

1) Create a new virtual switch and assign vmnic1 to it (configuration \ networking \ add networking - you can then select Service Console port and on the next screen you'll be able to create a new virtual switch with vmnic1). You'll have to assign a unique IP address for the new service console port and if you're going to leave the SC port on the same subnet as the current SC subnet then you don't have to change the default gateway.

2) Once you have create the new SC port and tested it, you can delete the SC port on vSwitch0.

As an alternative, I would suggest adding vmnic1 to vswitch0 and leaving both the SC and VM ports on that vswitch. That way the failure of either vmnic0 or 1 will have not a significant impact on the host. If you're concerned about the security of having the SC port on the same vswitch, you could add a VLAN to the SC port.

0 Kudos
Jack_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed your instructions with success. However when I tried to remove the SC from vswitch0 I get an error message that the resource is in use. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Jack_Ryan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found the answer: http://communities.vmware.com/message/515603#515603

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would like to echo that the second option would probably be more appropriate. Network redundancy is very important.

If you want to set a preferred NIC for service console operations, you can set the priority of each NIC inside the service console port group and do the same for the VM port group.

Also take a look at this excellent presentation: http://www.vmware-tsx.com/download.php?asset_id=43

0 Kudos