VMware Cloud Community
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

vmx appears to have a snapshot

I am running esXpress and I can't seem to backup a VM due to a snapshot. Now this isn't really an esXpress problem, its just detecting that in a config I have a snapshot orphaned I think.

In my directory I have no delta files, and VC or the VIC do not see any snapshots. I manually shutdown the VM, created and applied a snapshot and that completed successfully).

I have looked at the vmsd file and don't see anything that indicates there is an active snapshot.

snapshot.lastUID = "25"

snapshot.numSnapshots = "0"

snapshot.current = "0"

snapshot0.uid = "25"

snapshot0.filename = "machine1-Snapshot25.vmsn"

snapshot0.displayName = "orphan delta"

snapshot0.description = ""

snapshot0.createTimeHigh = "278950"

snapshot0.createTimeLow = "-1373859457"

snapshot0.numDisks = "2"

snapshot0.disk0.fileName = "machine1.vmdk"

snapshot0.disk0.node = "scsi0:0"

snapshot0.disk1.fileName = "machine1_1.vmdk"

snapshot0.disk1.node = "scsi0:1"

snapshot.needConsolidate = "FALSE"

snapshot0.disk2.fileName = "machine1_2.vmdk"

snapshot0.disk2.node = "scsi1:0"

I've shutdown the vm, re-registered it and run another snapshot and removal and still it appears to have a snapshot without any delta files being present.

Thoughts besides a clone to a new VM possibly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ronzo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Mr Rumple-

Besides looking at the VMSD esXpress looks at the VMX file also, for scsi devies with the -000001 name in them.

If you cannot figure out a solution, make us a support file (run phd-support) and we'll see what we can do to get it right for you.

thanks

ron mckelvey

esxpress

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I ran into this as well recently. To the best or my recollection here is what I did to get around this.

ssh to the ESX host, and ran phd

chose Lock Status - Clear

chose Abort Backups

chose Lock Status - Clear again

chose Clear Locks

Hope this helps, but I will admit I don't exactly understand how it solved my problem.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

shutdown the vm,

remove the disk from the VM,

delete the vmsd file,

add the disk to the VM,

try again,

Duncan

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you get the latest RC-10 build you can backup files with snapshots, or do snapshots on snapshots.

I have a VM that snapshot manager shows has a snapshot, but there is none. I have tried to create a snapshot, delete all, commit, revert, nothing works. It's really annoying, but I migrated it to another data store, and I still can't get it to work. But at least I can back it up...

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

These steps won't resolve snapshot problems, these are only if you want to ABORT backups in progress.. and prevent future backups until you CLEAR the flag.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ronzo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Mr Rumple-

Besides looking at the VMSD esXpress looks at the VMX file also, for scsi devies with the -000001 name in them.

If you cannot figure out a solution, make us a support file (run phd-support) and we'll see what we can do to get it right for you.

thanks

ron mckelvey

esxpress

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So it looks in the vmx file for -000001 names or in the directory for vmdk files with the -000001 in them? I know there are no vmdk files in there with that name...I'll check the vmx and see what I can do to clear that up.

Thanks

0 Kudos