VMware Communities
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to set up private network (no VMware DHCP) between two VM's?

As far as I've been able to discern - there is no way to do this as-is with Fusion - and I've tried using tokamak, and still can't see what I need to do to get this working.

I'm trying to set up a demo that involves a Windows Server 2003 vm running it's own DHCP to an XP client vm - and can't see how to bridge the two (I don't care at all about connectivity back out to the host).

Has anyone hacked in this type of config, and if so, how? Sigh... I love Fusion and my Mac - but I miss Workstation sometimes... Smiley Sad

TIA for any help.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Dave Parsons has written a good guide to custom network settings:

There is a PDF document in the OP and farther down the thread there is addition information you need to look at.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/735219#735219

Have you looked at any of this?

Edit: Clarified original statement.

getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have - and I see where he walks through creating another bridged connection - but unless I'm missing something - that's not what I want. I don't need (or want) external network connectivity at all - just a literal private network between n VM's - since my DHCP server will then storm my home network... Can I just set it up and not connect it to an ethernet interface on the Mac, perhaps?

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configure your Vm's to use host-only networking. Then configure the guest OS's to use a manually configured IP address without a gateway address in a range different from the host (your home network).

Let's say your mac uses 10.0.0.x network and your router (default gateway address) is on 10.0.0.128. Configure your guests to use an address in either 172.16.x.x. or 192.168.x.x. range.

I use this setup myself sometimes when I don't want my Vm's to access the internet. Works just fine for what you are describing.

In the example above the vm's won't be able to communicate with the host either. If you want host <--> guest communication but only disabble internet access use host-only and configure the guest OS's with an IP address in the same range as the host (ie, in the example from the 10.0.0.x range).

Edit: Added allow host communication

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll try that and post back. I was thinking that might work - but the name Host Only to me infers that VM to VM communication isn't possible...

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No love - I can't get Fusion to stop using it's own DHCP Daemon... which causes the demo to fail - since I need to use my own DHCP for a part of the demo... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And where is this DHCP server located?

Can't you use fixed addresses?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

And where is this DHCP server located? Can't you use fixed addresses?

The OP stated right in the first post in this thread: "I'm trying to set up a demo that involves a Windows Server 2003 vm running it's own DHCP to an XP client vm - and can't see how to bridge the two (I don't care at all about connectivity back out to the host)."

I would think using hard coded addresses defeats the purpose of trying to demonstrate DHCP.

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"I'm trying to set up a demo that involves a Windows Server 2003 vm running it's own DHCP to an XP client vm - and can't see how to bridge the two (I don't care at all about connectivity back out to the host)."

I would think using hard coded addresses defeats the purpose of trying to demonstrate DHCP.

Right. Thanks for reminding me.

In NAT and host-only it will indeed use Fusion's DHCP services. Set it to bridged and it will use your Vm's DHCP server. Set the VM's and DHCP up in their own IP range different from the hosts' range and don't use a default gateway address in the VM's and it will be logically separated from the rest of the network but able to communicate with each other.

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bridging worked. I beat my head against it for another hour or so... client kept picking up an IP from my router... Of course Windows Server 2003 hadn't popped a port for the DHCP server. Opened that up in the firewall, and it works great. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad you got it to work.

There is no telling which DHCP server a client will take. First come first serve so to speak. Either block one on the firewall and allow another or disable one or the other. Otherwise you will keep banging your head when leases expire.

0 Kudos