VMware Cloud Community
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor

VM Bios Access problem

Hi,

I need to access the BIOS of my VM. But the problem is - the screen goes very very fast and I am not able to press the F2(I guess) key.

Is there a way through which, I can slow down that scree ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
16 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

This is the way I do it, open a VIC to the vm machine or VC and open the console screen for the VM in question. press the reset button and then quickly click the black screen to give the machine focus, then press F2 for all your life. this works 90% of the time Smiley Happy not perfect but it does for me.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

A CPU limit helps as well

0 Kudos
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor

I dont rember where but, I read this - We can change the setting so that, it can give us ample time to get into BIOS.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

The BIOS boot delay parameter doesn't work in ESX.

It works with WS 6.0.1/6.0.2 and Fuison 1.x, I'm not sure about Server 2.0 and Player 2.0

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Server 2.0 and Player 2.0 include bios.bootDelay and bios.forceSetupOnce options.

I believe ESX 3i will contain this fix as well.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Use the CPU throttling trick... on very latest servers, the console never accepts a keystroke before you are past the bios boot. VMware should be shot in the head for how stupid this issue is. Sometimes I think VMware design/development team is on drug. I already suspect the Quality Assurance team has found the development team's hidden cache of mind alternating substances. VMware... Just Kidding! Well, mostly.

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

HA! I have experienced this like everyone else. Not many times do customers tell their vendors to slow things down a bit.... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

See above. CPU throttling is not the way to fix this. You just need to add bios.forceSetupOnce or bios.bootDelay = into your config file. I believe we're going to expose this in the UI before release (actually I think it's already in the VI Client UI somewhere).

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Is this also for ESX, if so this is a very good peice of info

Kind Regards

Tom,

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

ESX 3.0.x - no

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I meant to say if this is for 3.5 it is good news Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

Tom,

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

LOL! Now... VMware backwards compatible with a feature, that makes sense? LIKE NEVER.

0 Kudos
jubalkessler
Contributor
Contributor

I've been going absolutely crazy trying to get the BIOS to appear and allow me to change the boot order so that I can boot from a CD.

I'm running Virtual Infrastructure Client version 2.0.1, which connects to an ESX 3.0.2. (I apologize, I don't know what "3i" means in relation to my stated versions.)

I've tried both bios.bootDelay and bios.forceSetupOnce to no avail. As soon as (as in "immediately", before any quick-twitch reflex to hit F2 or whatever can kick in) I start the VM, I'm booting from the HDD, which is not what I want.

Please help me out by clarifying:

- how I can solve my immediate problem

- if I need to use a later VI client, please specify the version range (e.g. 3.5 or greater) necessary to do the trick

- if I need to use a later ESX server version, I'm screwed, because I don't control the server. HELP!

(an extremely frustrated sysadmin who wishes this problem had been solved by VMware LONG AGO)

0 Kudos
srbush
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In VC 2.5 & ESX 3.5 (not sure if this applies to prior versions), in VC select the VM and then edit setting, in the Options tab select boot options, there you can set a boot delay (can allow you time to get ready to hit F2 or Del), but for a one time setting check the box entitled "The next time the VM boots force BIOS setup screen".

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

When your VM starts booting from the HDD, just hit reset quickly (dont use that stupid mouse but use <alt>) and then you have enough time to get into the bios screen. Here it is sometimes easier to hit Escape as F2 after doing that you can either select the boot preference OR setup.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dramatik2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Incase anyone is still looking for info on this and encounters this thread,

Try adding:

bios.bootDelay = "60000"

to your .vmx file for the virtual machine.

This will add a 60 second (60000 ms) delay during startup.

0 Kudos