VMware Cloud Community
bigusdadius
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum number of pages per second?

I'm looking for input on the maximum number for pages per second that is acceptable in a Windows/EMC environment. I'm working on consolidation scenarios in capacity planner and the default number for pages per second in the maximum load thresholds is 200. VMware support states this number is derived from industry wide best practices. The systems I'm currently monitoring have paging numbers from 300-600 pages per second. Before I tell the customer that most of their systems are not good candidates for virtualization I would like to verify that the default number of 200 is definitely the high mark that should be used.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bigusdadius
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: After a little googling I believe I found where the default of 200 pages per second came from, but it is from ESX 2.1 documentation -

/proc/vmware/config/MemShareScanTotal

This ESX Server option specifies the total systemwide rate at which memory should be scanned for transparent page sharing opportunities. The rate is specified as the number of pages to scan per second. The default is 200 pages per second.

After looking into the Advanced Options of an ESX 3.0.1 host, it was found that the number of 200 is still the default. Also, it stated that 10000 was the maximum.

0 Kudos