VMware Cloud Community
doubleH
Expert
Expert

New Patches for ESX and VC are Available

New patches for ESX 3.0.2 and VC 2.0.2 are now available

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

I have just downloaded them and installed on some pre-production servers. Everything looks fine so far.

I noticed a new version Esx 3.0.2 Update 1 that is the normal 3.0.2 with all patches integrated. This way we

don't have to do all the patching after installing a new server Smiley Happy

Frank

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
rdowling2
Contributor
Contributor

Why why why couldn't they have done these rollup updates for 3.0.1? The list of updates is now 1.24Gb and takes over an hour to apply!

0 Kudos
xr7
Contributor
Contributor

VMware, stop screwing your customers and give us a straightforward method to patch. This is way beyond ridiculous now.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

> VMware, stop screwing your customers and give us a straightforward method to patch. This is way beyond ridiculous now.

How are you being screwed? VMware releases patches and the tools to apply them, there are also many free 3rd party solutions to better automate this and make patching easier. VMware is always making improvements to this process as evidenced by the new rollup (Update) releases and the forthcoming built-in Update Manager product that will patch both the hosts and vm's.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
xr7
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.1 has been out a year. Where's the rollup for it? The "forthcoming update utility" is vaporware and useless to customers because they don't have it. There are 58 patches totalling 1.31 GB which must be applied in date order, even though the filenames are in no particular order. Patching production 3.0.1 servers is simply a nightmare.

Specifically i feel screwed because with the revenue VMware is raking in I feel there is no excuse for them not delivering a tool long ago.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

The rollups are new starting with 3.0.2, if you want a rollup for 3.0.1 install 3.0.2. How is Update Manager "vaporware"? It's schedule to be released next month as part of ESX 3.5/VC 2.5 (http://vmware.com/products/vi/updatemanager.html). It was announced and shown at VMworld in the IO38 session. Are you saying that VMware is never going to release it? Again if you want to end your 3.0.1 patching nightware try one of the 3rd party solutions like VMTS Patch Manager.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure where you are coming from on this one.

As Eric stated, the rollup for ESX 3.0.1 is 3.0.2 - it is out, download and install it.

VMware is kind of between a rock and a hard place - if they don't announce any forthcoming products/features, people accuse them of being tight-lipped and non-communicative. If they announce features a month before the product is released, you accuse them of producing "vaporware".

Granted, patching ESX is not perfect, and I have stated in another post that I am curious as to why the patch number does not correspond to chronological order of installation. I also really don't think it is that big of a deal to type "esxupdate info | grep Release" to confirm the date of release. I guess you really don't have to do that anymore, as you only have to install the patches in the correct order with respect to the "month" of release.

Lighten up, man. Everything will be okay...

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
xr7
Contributor
Contributor

Where I'm coming from is a stable implementation of several 3.0.1 servers running production guest servers. 3.0.2 is an OS upgrade/re-installation which , as a professional engineer who values his job, I regard as a higher degree of risk than patching. It also requires an upgrade of VirtualCenter to 2.0.2, adding further risk. I'm sure it also means reinstallation of Vmware Tools on all guests, adding yet more risk.

And the only "hard places" Vmware is between is a mountain of diamonds on one side and a mountain of gold on the other. :smileydevil: :smileydevil:

0 Kudos