VMware Cloud Community
AnimalLogic
Contributor
Contributor

How to edit vmx files?

We have a new VI 3 setup running with VirtualCenter. We are using a cluster of ESX servers with HA and DRS.

When I create virtual machines I want to assign fixed MAC addresses to their ethernet. It is documented that to do this you need to edit the .vmx file corresponding to the virtual machine.

All well and good, but next time I run the virtual machine within VirtualCenter it wipes out my edits and reassigns a different MAC address.

So far the only way I've found to stop it doing this is to migrate the virtual machine (while powered off) to a different server and then power on the virtual machine. This seems a little clumsy.

Is there a better way?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

When you edit the VMX are you setting the address type to static, changing GeneratedAddress to just Address and staying in the range of 00:50:56:00:00:00-00:50:56:3F:FF:FF? This should work for you even with VC. If it's an issue and you're doing all 3 items, unregister the VM, make your changes and then register the VM again. With a Windows VM you can also set the MAC address on the properties for the NIC.

ethernetN.address = 00:50:56:3F:FF:FF

ethernetN.addressType="static"

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert

Deleted, I hadn't read Dave's response well enough and only regurgitated what he had already said.

Ooops,

Iain

0 Kudos
AnimalLogic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was after.

Pity VMware don't document this procedure in their manuals.

0 Kudos