VMware Cloud Community
MetallicWood
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum number of vSwitches supported by ESX

Hi,

The latest manual says this is 248 but a note referrences a correction in the back to say this is actually 127.

I'm going to take the exam soon..... will they refer to the old value or the true one?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

See this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/80411

The maximum config guide updated in July also lists 127:

MetallicWood
Contributor
Contributor

Fair does but I would still be wary about answering an exam question for example on this topic seeing as the 'offical' manual(s) (server guides and config max) both say 127 max if there was also the 248 option.....

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Well, I hate to throw yet another wrinkle into the mix, but out of boredom I wrote a quick script to try to create 128 vSwitches:

#!/bin/bash

i=2; #I already had vSwitch0 and vSwitch1

while { "$i" -le 128 } #The {}'s are actually []'s

do

esxcfg-vswtich -a vSwitch$i

i=$(expr $i + 1)

done

I was only able to get to vSwitch61 (for a total of 62 virtual switches).

Thinking my script may have been hosed, I was not able to add an additional switch via

#esxcfg-vswitch -a vSwitch62

I am also unable to add any additional virtual switches through VirtualCenter, etc. (I tried connection types of Virtual Machine, VMkernel, and Service Console and no dice).

Is the maximum number of virtual switches dependent upon the number of ports on each of the virtual switches? I'll goof around with that right now...

Any thoughts....

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Does anyone have anything to add to this? I may present this question to other VCIs and seem if anyone has encountered this...

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos