VMware Cloud Community
MetallicWood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA operation in the absense of VC

Hi,

Just a simple question I hope.

If you've got a Virtual Center server located as a VM on one of your hosts in a cluster and the host containing the VC server fails..... does HA automatically recover/restart the VC server on the alternative host?

Are any of the VC facilities unavailable during this servers unavailability?

I thought the answer would be, yes.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

HA kicks in, when the ESX host doesnt respond anymore. At this stage you wont have VC and its functions anymore until the VC-VM will be fired up on another host, yes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, the VC-VM will be restarted on an other host if your cluster is configured to do that.

I think the second question is not clear to me ... HA works without VC, if thats what you wanted to know.

MetallicWood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the response.]

RE: the second part I was trying to understand if any Virtual Center functions would be dis-functional till the server is powered back up on the alternative host.

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

HA kicks in, when the ESX host doesnt respond anymore. At this stage you wont have VC and its functions anymore until the VC-VM will be fired up on another host, yes.

0 Kudos
MetallicWood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With regards to Vmotion then, if I've got two servers with two dual core processors do I need to fully populate with 4 Vmotion license or can I get away with using two - presumably performance will be lessened as the system only uses two processors for the activity?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would need to purchase 4 cpu licenses for this. If you were to only buy 2 licenses, the first server you enabled for vmotion would take both licenses.

See page 6 and 7 here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi_pricing.pdf

0 Kudos