3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2007 9:48 PM by vizvayu

High disk activity freeze for 5-15 seconds under linux (pdflush)

vizvayu Novice

I've been using vmware server for quite a while without any problems (kernel 2.6.20), but recently upgraded the host computer and OS. I'm using Gentoo Linux 64bits now and seems that vmware doesn't like it very much... it freezes the whole OS for 5-15 seconds when any VM is running, and this repeats every two or three minutes constantly. It looks like a sync with lots of info being flushed to disk (pdflush process), but the VM OS are completely idle and the disk activity in the VM won't light up, so it appears to be some kind of problem with the vmware server process and not with any of the VMs.

I've tryied with the following kernels:

2.6.23 (this one has other problems also, but I suppose it's because it's too new)

(Every kernel was tryied with and without preemption, and with 100hz and 250hz timer frequency)

These are the specs of the host computer:

Core2Duo 2160

ASUS P5L-MX Mainboard

2GB DDR2 Memory

250GB Western Digital RE SATA2 HDD

Altansic NIC gigabit (atl1)

Realtek 8169 gigabit NIC (r8169)

Also, I've tryied bridging the vmnet0 to both NICs separately and this didn't make any difference. Also I used both growable and preallocated vdisks, with and without the write-back cache setting inside each VM.

I'm planning on moving back to 32bits, but I'd like to be sure if this would fix the problem... so any advice is welcome.

And lastly here are some error lines from the syslog in case they are relevant:

-

Oct 11 11:09:42 ithil vmware-authd[5836]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_deny.so)

Oct 11 11:09:42 ithil vmware-authd[5836]: PAM error: /lib/security/pam_deny.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Oct 11 11:09:42 ithil vmware-authd[5836]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_deny.so

http://...

Oct 11 11:08:02 ithil vmmon: Had to deallocate locked 61433 pages from vm driver ffff81007d794000

Oct 11 11:08:02 ithil vmmon: Had to deallocate AWE 4265 pages from vm driver ffff81007d794000

-

Thanks!!