VMware Communities
s0ldi
Contributor
Contributor

BUG: Bridged networking & wireless ! working on Ubuntu 7.10

Since I can't find a place to report to vmware and don't feel like spending time poking around for it, i'll post here and maybe they'll see it.

In the interim, perhaps this may help others.

vmware workstation 6.0.1 on Ubuntu 7.10. Various guests from rhel5 to vista, primarily use winxp pro.

Upgraded Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10. Ran vmware-configure.pl and vmware ws 6.0 could not work with 7.10 kernel (2.6.22-13). Saw 6.0.1 was available so downloaded and installed. Went fine, worked with kernel, etc.

Started having extremely flaky issues w/wireless (dropping entire signal for no apparent reason. Finally correlated to whenever vmware was running attached to wireless interface (eth1) in bridge mode.

Would lose wireless signal on host entirely, then come back, then lose, and so on. Issue would stop when shutdown vmware instance.

Changed to NAT and is working now.

Dell D620, broadcom 4318 wireless chipset. Using latest kernel drivers rather than ndiswrapper.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scottcain
Contributor
Contributor

I am suffering from the same problem: Ubuntu 7.10 (2.6.22-14 kernel) and no bridged networking. I have VMware workstation 6.0.2 build-59824.

(I changed the subject to make it clear that it is NOT working (I understand the '!', but plenty of other people might not).

So, it's been over a month and there doesn't appear to be a fix for this Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
figjam
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue, but found a fix here -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558855

There is a patch you can download.

Now just to figure out how to use it...

0 Kudos
Todd_Dresser
Contributor
Contributor

Here were the instructions I found on how to apply the vmnet.tar and it worked for me. I grabbed the instructions from this link if you want to check them out

Source Page

First make a backup copy of the original vmnet.tar file under the modules directory

sudo /usr/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.tar.org

then copy in the downloaded patch to this directory

sudo cp %path to patch%/vmnet.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.tar

after placing the patch in the correct location you need to reconfigure VMware Workstation

sudo vmware-config.pl

Now your bridged wireless connection should be working for your VM's, worked for me hope it works for you

0 Kudos