VMware Communities
virtual_jason
Contributor
Contributor

Support for sniffing vm network traffic?

I have installed VMWare Fusion 1.1beta on a Leopard host recently and tried to sniff traffic sent from my VM image over the virtual network device from the host (tcpdump on the host side filtering on the IP given to the virtual host). No traffic appears unfortunately. With bridged networking, sniffing on the host ethernet device shows no traffic from the VM, and if NAT is enabled, you can't even open the vmnet device in promiscuous mode.

Will VMWare Fusion support this functionality? Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I'll let VMware answer your question about host network sniffing functionality. If you this want this to work now, I would wire trace the network in the VM. Wireshark works well for this and it's free.

0 Kudos
bruce_m_walker
Contributor
Contributor

I too am interested in this. When I attempt to run Wireshark (on the Mac) on vmnet8 I get ...

The capture session could not be initiated
 (BIOCSETIF: vmnet8: Device not configured).

Sniffing net traffic is kind critical for me. I'm running Debian Etch in the VM.

I'll try installing tcpdump in Linux and see what I can get out of that, but being able to sniff from the Mac side is way more useful to me.

-bmw

-bmw
0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You are you on Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5), apparently there's a problem in Leopard in the guest putting the virtual NIC in promiscous mode. VMware are working on the issue. I'll try to test Wireshark on Windows and tcpdump on Ubuntu tonight.

0 Kudos
bruce_m_walker
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on Plain Old Tiger (10.4.11).  Fusion 1.1 (final).

-bmw

-bmw
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The vmnet devices don't currently support BPF, which (according to my understanding) is necessary to use tools like tcpdump. As a workaround, try vmnet-sniffer (in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/), which should let you capture packets.

0 Kudos
bruce_m_walker
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Eric! That helps me. The output from vmnet-sniffer is "one-size-fits-all" apparently, and so it's cluttered with ssh traffic, but at least I can see that my app is sending stuff and getting replies. I appreciate that it can create Wireshark/tcpdump compatible dumps too.

(And definitely your interface must support bpf for tcpdump, or anything else that links to the

pcap(3)

library, to work.)

-bmw

-bmw
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Glad that worked out for you. Sorry about not currently supporting BPF, I've pinged the developers to remind them that people would like to have this.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

On Leopard attempting to put Ubuntu in promiscuous mode using tcpdump, generates this notice in Fusion:

The virtual machine's operating system has attempted to enable promiscuous mode on adapter Ethernet0. This is not allowed for security reasons.

Please go to the Web page "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=161" for help enabling promiscuous mode in the virtual machine.

But then tcpdump runs and it does capture data for the guest VM. Seems to work OK and there's an option to disable the warning.

0 Kudos
Mitch_Haile
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this? Trying to debug communication with the host/guest is hindered somewhat. vmnet-sniffer is a poor substitute (useful but not as useful as support BPF).

-- Mitch Haile 408-850-0129 (office) mitch.haile@gmail.com
0 Kudos
LFowler
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any news on getting this BPF support?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is there any news on getting this BPF support?

No, sorry.

0 Kudos
LFowler
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
bilsch
Contributor
Contributor

Any progress on this?

$ sudo tcpdump -n -i vmnet1

tcpdump: BIOCSETIF: vmnet1: Device not configured

Sniffing from the guest perspective is possible but at times you need to sniff on both ends

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Use /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-sniffer if you need to sniff from the host. I'm not a network guy but believe BPF support is what's needed for tcpdump to work.

0 Kudos
pierswalter
Contributor
Contributor

Testing this under Fusion 3.1.1, tcpdump still doesn't work.

Is BPF support planned for Fusion devices at all?

Should I hold my breath for this? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos