1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 6:46 AM by Meeus

10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host

brucefulton Novice

Using Server 1.0.4 build 56528. Host - Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Laptop, Core2 Duo, 2GB ram. 1 guest OS setup (Ubuntu desktop 6.10), vmx stored on external usb drive. The first time starting the guest vm after a host boot, the entire system locks up for 10 minutes with considerable disk thrashing. It's locked up so tight, it stops the clock and I can't bring up task manager. Once it finished doing whatever it is doing, it doesn't re-occur until the host system is rebooted. I've see other reports of this but no solution yet that I can find. One thread suggested excluding the directory with the vmx files from the anti-virus check, no help. Another on this forum suggested setting guest memory into reserved memory, but that option is not available on the version of server I have installed. Is there a fix for this problem?

Message was edited by: brucefulton

Moving the files to the local hard drive have not made any difference, as someone else suggested, so this problem is still open. The lockup runs about 10 minutes on a vanilla vista install, or about 7 with a certified readyboost device installed in a USB port. This is a hard lock. Until the system is released after about 10 minutes, even the clock is frozen. One cannot even bring up the task manager to track what is consuming resources.

• 1. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
          glibik Enthusiast

I suggest looking into that new 'feature' in Vista that uses USB memory devices as paging space.  The problem may be associated with that. 

I've heard a couple of stories from people replacing XP with Vista and promptly losing all their backed up files on USB memory devices.

• 2. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
            brucefulton Novice

No, the ready boost issue is completely N/A. No ready boost device is being used. When one is plugged in, it reduces the lockup from 10 minutes to 7. This is a factory install, not an upgrade. If people have lost data on flash devices using readyboost, then another forum would be more appropriate. I'm looking for people who have had the lockup/freeae problem and solved it. Appreciate the help, but there are dozens of replies over the web to people who have had this problem from people who haven't and are theorizing. I'm looking for something more concrete. Thanks!

• 3. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
              eyetoe Lurker

I'm seeing this exact problem.  I'm using a new Dell XPS m1330 with Intel Core Duo CPU 2.2 GHz and 2 GB RAM.  Running Vista Ultimate.

I'm running my VMware images from a connected wester digital 120 GB hard drive dedicated to this  task.

I only see it when first launching vmware (until the next reboot when I will see it again).  For me it hangs between 3 and 5 minutes.

I tried optimizing the USB drive for performance (as i did on XP) but it did not help.

I'm going to move an image to the local hard drive (200 GB 7200 spin) and see if this is specific to the USB drive or not.

I'm hoping for a solution soon.

-eyetoe

• 4. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                ericcumbee Lurker

I am running into the same problem

• 5. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                  rsa911 Virtuoso

post your virtual machine config file content (.vmx file)

a list of other memory resident software installed on the machine can also be usefull like antivirus / firewall / antispyware  /...

• 6. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                    brucefulton Novice

One each attached for ubuntu 7.10 server and desktop. Sophos AV, Windows Defender antispyware, Windows firewall, and whatever factory installed nonsense there is with Vista that I haven't been able to get rid of yet.

• 7. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                      1nd Novice

Try adding the following entry to C: \ProgramData\VMware Workstation\config.ini : host.TSC.noForceSync = TRUE

I just tested this on a Dell Vostro 1720 laptop with T7700/4GB/2x120 gb with Vista Ultimate (32 bit) which exhibited the lockup problem when starting the first guest. Seems to have disappeared now!

I was also able to fix bridged networking for wired network connections by reinstalling vmware bridge protocol in vmnet1 and the machine's ethernet adapter.

Now if i could only get it to work using the wlan...

Good luck,

Theo Fokkema - system engineer

http://www.1nd.nl - nummer 1 in netwerkdiensten

• 8. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                        brucefulton Novice

Seems to do the trick, thanks! I have server, not workstation, but there is a config.ini file in the vmware server directory, so I added the flag there. It still locks up briefly, but more like for a minute before releasing the system. The OS takes longer than that to load, of course.

• 9. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                          RafaelCal Lurker

I'm having this very same problem but with VMWare Server 1.0.4

My laptop is a:

HP 8710p with the following specs:

Intel Core Duo 7.500 2.2 Ghz

3 Gb RAM

SATA 160GB

NVidia Quadro NVS 320M

I use Windows Vista as host and the problem is the same when boot a Windows XP or an Ubuntu. I'm not using any USB disk

• 10. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                            rpp37 Lurker

I'm running Server 1.04 as well on Vista.

There is no config.ini or any other .ini for that matter.

Please help!

Thanks.

• 11. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                              myvmpwd Lurker

I also experience the same problem.  I'm running a clean install

(not-upgrade) of Vista Ultimate Edition on a Sony Vaio VGN-AR520E laptop.

This laptop came with Vista and does not have drivers for XP.  I have 4GB

of RAM, a Intel Core 2 processor, and my VM is on a 7200RPM drive that's separate

from the OS (this laptop has two bays, for two 7200 Hard drives).  I am

running VMWare Server 1.0.4 build 56528.

It causes about a three minute delay when I first start my VM after rebooting

my host.  I will try the noForceSync next, but I much prefer running

non-tweaked, non-modified software.  I am a win32 software developer, and I’m

well aware of possible side effects by tweaking config files, the registry,

etc. 

So, I would really prefer VMware to fix this issue.  If that's not an

option, my second preference if for VMWare to publich an official KB which

clearly describes the prolem and fix.

Thanks, Jared

-- http://dataland.wordpress.com/

• 12. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                                myvmpwd Lurker

I edited the VMware config file and added my VMs folder to my Anti-Virus exclusions.  I've also rebooted to make sure these settings were used.  I still get the 2 to 3 minute lockup when first starting a VM after rebooting my Vista host. 

I have attached a screenshot of my RAM usage during this period.  When VMware Server grabs all available RAM, the host system effectively locks up, the clock even fails to update, and any other process (including the host OS) will surely have memory allocation failures.  Because of this, I need to wait quite a while after Vista boots (and all services fully start up), or starting my WM  will results in a partially-booted/corrupt host OS state, b/c internal memory allocs have failed.  For example: networking no longer works until I reboot my host.

Is this a know VMWare bug?

Thanks, Jared

-- http://dataland.wordpress.com/

• 13. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                                  chrisnoonan Novice

I'm having the same problems.

I've got Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit installed and am having massive lockups when trying to load a VM image using VMware Server 1.0.5.

I can't locate the config file that is referred to in a few posts above.

Anyone have any other ideas?

• 14. Re: 10 minute lockup, server w/ Vista as host
                                    chrisnoonan Novice

This is a snippet of my vm log

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| Log for VMware Server pid=2804 version=1.0.5 build=build-80187 option=Release

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| Command line: "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\bin\vmware-vmx.exe" "-T" "querytoken" "c:\virtual machines\ubuntu\ubuntu.vmx"

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| vmxvmdb: Index name being generated from config file

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| VMXVmdbConnectServerd - Trying to discover serverd

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| MStat: Creating Stat system.cpuusage

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| MStat: Creating Stat system.ram

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| MStat: Creating Stat system.uptime

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| MStat: Creating Stat system.load

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| VMMon: failed memory configuration

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| CPU #0 TSC = 10778974168570

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| CPU #1 TSC = 10778974168453

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| CPU #2 TSC = 10778974168066

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| CPU #3 TSC = 10778974168624

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| TSC delta 558

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| VMMon_GetkHzEstimate: Calculated 3600000 kHz

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| cpuids[0].id81.ecx = 0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| cpuids[1].id81.ecx = 0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| cpuids[2].id81.ecx = 0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| cpuids[3].id81.ecx = 0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #0 CPUID numEntries=10 GenuntelineI

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #0 CPUID version=0x6fb id1.edx=0xbfebfbff id1.ecx=0xe3bd id1.ebx=0x40800

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #0 CPUID id80.eax=80000008 id81.edx=0x20100000 id81.ecx=0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #1 CPUID numEntries=10 GenuntelineI

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #1 CPUID version=0x6fb id1.edx=0xbfebfbff id1.ecx=0xe3bd id1.ebx=0x2040800

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #1 CPUID id80.eax=80000008 id81.edx=0x20100000 id81.ecx=0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #2 CPUID numEntries=10 GenuntelineI

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #2 CPUID version=0x6fb id1.edx=0xbfebfbff id1.ecx=0xe3bd id1.ebx=0x3040800

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #2 CPUID id80.eax=80000008 id81.edx=0x20100000 id81.ecx=0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #3 CPUID numEntries=10 GenuntelineI

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #3 CPUID version=0x6fb id1.edx=0xbfebfbff id1.ecx=0xe3bd id1.ebx=0x1040800

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| pcpu #3 CPUID id80.eax=80000008 id81.edx=0x20100000 id81.ecx=0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| CPUID id1.edx: 0xbfebfbff id1.ecx: 0xe3bd id81.edx: 0x20100000 id81.ecx: 0x1

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| CPUID id88.ecx: 0 id88.edx: 0

Apr 16 20:24:18: vmx| ACL_InitCapabilities: here 1 (bug 63252)

I'm assuming this is the problem

VMMon: failed memory configuration

1 2 Previous Next