1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2012 10:39 AM by Tatanga

VMWare Server is really slow

thany Enthusiast

For some reason, My VM has become really tediously slow. The host is Windows 2003 x86 SP2 running VMware Server 1.0.3. The guest runs Windows XP SP2.

For a while it's been running at normal speed, which is slow. Screen updates is about 1fps, but the rest is good and workable. Funny thing is, screen updates bumps to about 20fps when I move the mouse??! I hope the mouse is not considered the only input device that needs a responsive UI?? I mean, come on, I have gigabit network here. I'm certain VMware can do 100fps continuously with this kind of bandwidth. At least Remote desktop works MUCH more responsive, even when not moving the mouse.

Anyhow, now comes the really biting part... At this moment the VM is running so slow I can't even work with it. The VM misses 3 out of every 4 mouseclicks, some keystrokes are missed, screen updates is less than 0.5fps and most of them are partial, and the CPU seems like a P200 or something. On the server, nothing strange is going on. Plenty free memory, plenty CPU time unused. Ditto on the guest. The harddisk is nearly idle, and network shouldn't cause performance problems, as mentioned earlier.

In the past, I could solve this by rebooting the guest, but that trick no longer works. I'm certainly not going to reboot the server just for this, therefor I need a graceful solution.

So here come the questions:

1) Why is VMware so slow when running at "normal" speed?

2) Why does the guest become so unworkable and tediously slow for no reason?

• 1. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
          jgl1975 Expert

Have you tried to update the vmware tools ?

• 2. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
            francois.tiers Hot Shot

Have you get the VMware graphics card to maximum into the      acceleration material ?

• 3. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
              thany Enthusiast

I've upgraded both the server and the client to 1.0.4, but after a day or two the guest still bceomes terribly slow. This has nothing to do with video acceleration, I know what disabling video acceleration causes and this is not it. The whole thing is slow, not just video.

• 4. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                francois.tiers Hot Shot

Look at your host PC...

And into the guest, put the video acceleration to Max...

How many memory have you ?

• 5. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                  thany Enthusiast

Like I said, video acceleration is NOT the problem.

The server has 2,5GB memory, most of which is available. The guests is set to 768MB memory.

• 6. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                    rsa911 Virtuoso

Could you please post the VM .vmx file content and some details on your host: any software updated recently?  antivirus ?  firewall ? etc ... ??

• 7. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                      thany Enthusiast

The server is actually a clean install. There's no antivirus or firewall on it, no software that wouldn't normally be on a server.

Full specs:

- Athlon64 X2 3800+

- 2,5GB RAM

- 3x250GB in RAID5 (this is where the VM is)

- 4x400GB in RAID5 (has nothing to do with the VM's)

- Intel PRO/1000MT Gigabit ethernet (connected to gigabit switch, client PC also has gigabit ethernet connected to the same switch)

- Windows Server 2003 Standard (x86) with SP2

- Server is also domain controller, DNS, DHCP, IIS

VMX file is attached.

• 8. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                        thany Enthusiast

The server is actually a clean install. There's no antivirus or firewall on it, no software that wouldn't normally be on a server.

Full specs:

- Athlon64 X2 3800+

- 2,5GB RAM

- 3x250GB in RAID5 (this is where the VM is)

- 4x400GB in RAID5 (has nothing to do with the VM's)

- Intel PRO/1000MT Gigabit ethernet (connected to gigabit switch, client PC also has gigabit ethernet connected to the same switch)

- Windows Server 2003 Standard (x86) with SP2

- Server is also domain controller, DNS, DHCP, IIS

Sorry for the zip attachment. The forum says vmx-files aren't allowed |

• 9. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                          rsa911 Virtuoso

is the host running SP2 from day one or you recently installed it ?

for the perf, you can add these lines to your VM .vmx file,  altough for a single VM running on your host H/W it won't probably change anything..

(do it while the VM is OFF)

mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"

sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"

prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"

MemTrimRate = "0" 

• 10. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                            thany Enthusiast

It's still terribly slow, even with those lines added to the vmx. I said it before and I will say it again: It has nothing to do with performance of the host machine! It could run four VM's and still have enough performance left to serve others.

I think this is a bug in VMware Server. How else could it be running so badly on a machine that is basically a clean install?

(And yes, SP2 had been on the host since day one. It was slipstreamed in the installation)

• 11. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                              chimera Novice

I am having exactly the same problems, 1.0.4 is REALLY slow.  HELP????  I have a similar setup - monitoring disk write I/O's are through the roof on the host (both hosts) What gives???

• 12. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                                rupvenu Lurker

NO USE tried installing VMware 1.0.1,1.0.3 and 1.0.4 all the 3 are deadly slow. can sombody check this on a HP DL 385G2 server?

• 13. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                                  iamanomad Novice

FWIW - I've been running multiple Windows XP clients on 1.02, and then 1.03 without those kind of performance issues.   My host OS is RedHat Linux 3 however, which makes me wonder if it isn't something with Windows 2003 or the way it is setup that is causing the problem.   I've even run Windows XP on top of Windows XP and it wasn't as bad as you are going through.     You could throw linux on there for a host OS (or XP I suppose) to eliminate (or confirm) that it is a hardware issue.

• 14. Re: VMWare Server is really slow
                                    rupvenu Lurker

Thanks for your reasponse.

I found the solution. The Virtual CD/DVD Media confiured on Virtual servers were creating problem. we need to enable Legacy mode in windows based clients. otherwise the VMs will get struck very often.

1 2 Previous Next