VMware Cloud Community
casit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

host showing as disconnected.

I have a host who is showing as disconnect at the moment. However the vm inside it is running fine. I had this happen to me last week with another client and the only solution that we found was to reboot the blade. However I think thats a poor solution. I also tried the following from sshing into it

service mgmt-vmware restart

and that didn't do anything.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

also try service vmware-vpxa restart, you should check if you have a tmp/vmware-root directory per the kb article below...

Deleting vpxuser to resolve issue with ESX hosts appearing as disconnected in VC - http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=733306

ESX Server 3.0.x Hosts Shown as Disconnected after Upgrading a VirtualCenter 2.0.x Release - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/4478241

0 Kudos
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a similar issue after an upgrade Virtual Center. I had to restart a few of the services on the ESX server.

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

service vmware-vmkauthd restart

I am not 100% certain if the VM's remained on during this, so use caution. The worst that will happen is the VM's get restarted.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Did you try a ping of the host? Make sure it's back up.

Then from the VI console, right click the host, and click "connect". does it come back?

Is this an IP address or by name? Try pinging by both name and IP from your VI server console machine (not your machine) to confirm the VI console can ping by both name and IP.

0 Kudos
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this an IP address or by name? Try pinging by both name and IP from your VI server console machine (not your machine) to confirm the VI console can ping by both name and IP.

This reminded me, it is case sensitive. Check the host file on the ESX server and make sure it matches the name in Virtual Center.

ESX01.mydomain.com != esx01.mydomain.com

0 Kudos