1 2 3 Previous Next 183 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 5:27 AM by peter222

FreeBSD as a Host

GeekGod Novice

Is it possible for you guys to add support for running vmware in freebsd as a host?   Many people use FreeBSD and this is keeping me from eliminating windows altogether.   And no, Linux is not an option.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
          JMills Master

Question... why is Linux not an option for a Host OS?

Is the chassis in question being used in split-personality mode? (Host OS doing more than just hosting the vPlatform engine)

• 2. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
            GeekGod Novice

Because I have used FreeBSD since version 2.2 (around 94 or so) and do not feel comfortable with "Linux" as a whole and I suspect many of the FreeBSD/DragonFlyBSD users are in the same boat.

At any rate, FreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD (a fork of Free) have linux emulation available and even version 3.X works but no efforts have been given to bring the 3.X port up to date.  Having FreeBSD as a host OS would bring many added benefits that the BSD community is well aware of.

Regards,

GG

• 3. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
              JMills Master

At any rate, FreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD (a fork of Free)

have Linux emulation available and even version 3.X

works but no efforts have been given to bring the 3.X

port up to date.

You're talking about this, right?

http://portsmon.firepipe.net/portoverview.py?category=emulators&portname=vmware3

http://www.break.net/orlando/vmware3/

It sounds like all that'd be required on our part would be arranging for a comp. license of VMware Workstation 4.5.x for Linux for the maintainer, no?

They could then publish a "patch-set" which would be applied to the package (.tar.gz file) as downloaded by the end user/licensee from VMware directly.

Petr maintains a patchset in a similar manner, and did so long before he was an employee.

• 4. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                GeekGod Novice

Yes, thats what I was talking about.

What are the chances of this port being brought up to speed for 4.5?

Regards,

GG

• 5. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                  JMills Master

Well, as I noted in my prior post... the maintainer isn't someone at VMware, Inc. ... So you'd need to ask them what sort of resources they'd require, no?

• 6. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                    GeekGod Novice

Why can't vmware pick up where this person left off and deliver an update?   I would feel more comfortable if VMWare actively maintained this port not to mention this would be a great platform as a host.

• 7. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                      JMills Master

Because the pricetag for the two would be significantly different?

In order to "support" FreeBSD as a Host OS, it would need to be run through the same development and QA cycle as all other Host OS options. Those costs would have to be outweighed by potential future sales. Simple business math, really.

• 8. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                        GeekGod Novice

Not to keep on with this but have you all actually done a survey to see what hosts people want?

• 9. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                          JMills Master

I believe several have been done, but I'd have to defer to Product Management as to the details of such.

• 10. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                            Ramrod Lurker

I've been checking the vmware website on and off for the last year to see if there finally is support for vmware on FreeBSD hosts. It's a pity that there isn't. I would immediately purchase a license if there was.

• 11. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                              figjam Lurker

I too have been waiting for some movement on this for ages. Our company is a very strong supporter of VMware since I introduced it some years ago. A lot of our Q/A stuff is done via it. (fwiw, we had virtualpc too, but it was abandoned and upgraded to the latest VMware) There are a few of us, who only run BSD like systems including MACs. We cannot run vmware. We have to have 2 machines on our desks. Linux is not an option either as the company is almost entirely Sun based. We found Linux to be changing too many things to be able to maintain a stable platform to develop software on. C'est la vie.

• 12. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                                Daryll Master

Hey all,

As Jason has already stated earlier in this thread, the main determining factor we use in deciding to support a new HOST OS is potential future sales.

The FreeBSD market is very, very small right now.  Most people who use FreeBSD are prone to use an OS such as Linux, and in fact many of them DO use Linux.

That's not to say that FreeBSD support will never happen;  we just need a business case to do so.  Several postings on the VMTN discussion forums (and this discussion here) will help.

Until we get a lot more intellectual ammunition on the FreeBSD front, I'm afraid this will remain as an unsupported host OS.

Readers' digest version:

If you want FreeBSD support, tell VMware about it.  File a support request (if you have a support contract), post here, make yourself heard.

-Daryll

• 13. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                                  osde.info Expert

I'd buy a FreeBSD version too. How many more potential customers do you need (to post their interest here too) ?

• 14. Re: FreeBSD as a Host
                                    pturbide Novice

I have been waiting for a FREEBSD Host for a while.

We have at least 6 licenses at work that would be converted from Linux to FBSD due to stability reasons and since we mostly run FBSD servers.

Certainly my home license would be converted immediately.

The only reason that we run a linux host is due to lack of options.  It's also fair to say if there is a competing product that comes out to be equivalent in functionality as vmware which would also support FBSD hosts, we will certainly move to that product.  We're stuck at the moment.

1 2 3 Previous Next