VMware Cloud Community
AWahlert
Contributor
Contributor

what happens , if i remove a physical nic from a DV switch

Hi List,

we are using VSphere 4.1.1 with esxi i a HA Cluster with one big dvSwitch for all the VMs.

Now i want to remove (only from one of my esxi's) a physical  nic that is located within a dvswitch. (On the host under the Configuration - Network Tab)

What happens in this case? Lose the vms their network connection for a short time? Or will be the nic (vmnic5) removed on all esxi's globally??

Thx in advance

Andreas

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think if you have redundant NIC connected to DV switch then there should not be any issues.

and if you have only one Physical NIC then network will be disconnected for VMs.

0 Kudos
AWahlert
Contributor
Contributor

hmmm,

should i remove the empty uplink too??

This would be  done for the hole cluster, isn't it?

Thanks

Andreas

0 Kudos
zying
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

At the host's configuration->network tab, DV switch configuration is done on a per host basis, it won't affect global settings. One can add/remove vmknic , uplink on a per host basis at this place.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

The only thing to watch out for is that you  NIC sequencing can change of you change the physical hardware - so make sure that once you bring the host back online your mappings are still ok and all networks function as expected before adding VMs back to the host.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
marshalmatador
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great, thanks for that need to know advice!:)

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

moved from VMware ESXi™ 4 to VMware vSphere™ vNetwork

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos