VMware Cloud Community
AhmadMDS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vss to vds migration

Hi experts,

I have a vsphere standard switch with one uplink (vmnic) i would like to migrate it to vsphere distributed switch.

As we don't have any remaining vmnics and this switch is connected to only one vmnic so there is no redundancy on this swicth, how can the VMs connected to that switch be migrated to the distributed switch?

is there any downtime ?

are there any links and articles that may help me doing this task?

thank you in advance Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have a second vmnic you can use temporarily, you'd create the vDS using this vmnic as the uplink. Then use the migrate wizard to move the VMs over to the vDS port groups. Move the now vacant vmnic to the vDS and set it as the active uplink. Remove the temporary vmnic as the uplink and restore it where it was. You should be done at that point.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you only have one uplink, essentially they can't be migrated without some downtime. Are you able to temporarily use another vmnic for the purposes of a migration?

0 Kudos
AhmadMDS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you for you reply.

if i were able to use another vmnic temporarily,first i should to migrate the virtual machines from the vss to the vds then detach the vmnic from the standard switch and attach it to the vDS.

Am i right ? do you have any suggestions please?

thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have a second vmnic you can use temporarily, you'd create the vDS using this vmnic as the uplink. Then use the migrate wizard to move the VMs over to the vDS port groups. Move the now vacant vmnic to the vDS and set it as the active uplink. Remove the temporary vmnic as the uplink and restore it where it was. You should be done at that point.

0 Kudos