VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vmnic redundancy and UCS

I am using Cisco UCS with standard and distributed switches in VMware.  How many VMNIcs do I need per port group?  The Vmnics are not actually physical NICs in this case, just virtual representations presented to the virtual switch by UCS.  Is there any point in having more than one VMNIC per port group?  My redundancy is being handled by UCS having to map a single VMNIC to muliptle physical connections.  Does having 2 vmnics in VMware create any redundancy or performance gain, or does it only make the design more complex?  Should I just use one vmnic, and in UCS, make that one VMNIC able to use multiple physical paths if one fails?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You'll need two vNICs, one per IO Module, in order to provide a path to both UCS Fabric Interconnects.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You'll need two vNICs, one per IO Module, in order to provide a path to both UCS Fabric Interconnects.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok thanks again

0 Kudos