VMware Cloud Community
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmk0 behind a teamed set of nics

I have a temporary need to do this, the nics are setup as an LACP trunk on the procurve and the vSwitch has NIC Teaming set to:

Load Balancing-Route based on IP Hash

Network Failover Detection-Link Status Only

Notify Switches-Yes

Failback-Yes

But shortly after I loose connectivity and must use iLO to connect to the consoel where I notice the managment nic setting is bound to only one nic which I assume can't work as the procurve switch has all the ports setup in an LACP trunk?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rofish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

LACP is only support (so far) on Cisco's distributed switch implementation (Nexus 1000 V). http://vmware.com/files/pdf/technology/cisco_vmware_virtualizing_the_datacenter.pdf

So best is to simply configure VLAN trunking on all connected pNics and setup load balancing across all pNics. If you have sufficient pNics, consider reserving two pNics and connect them to a separate vSwitch or dvSwitch port group for management traffic and VMotion and put those in a failover team.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Ronald.

If you appreciate my feedback, please consider awarding points for a Correct or Helpful answer. Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rofish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

LACP is only support (so far) on Cisco's distributed switch implementation (Nexus 1000 V). http://vmware.com/files/pdf/technology/cisco_vmware_virtualizing_the_datacenter.pdf

So best is to simply configure VLAN trunking on all connected pNics and setup load balancing across all pNics. If you have sufficient pNics, consider reserving two pNics and connect them to a separate vSwitch or dvSwitch port group for management traffic and VMotion and put those in a failover team.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Ronald.

If you appreciate my feedback, please consider awarding points for a Correct or Helpful answer. Thank you!

0 Kudos
DwayneL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why do need a trunk? Unless you think your config needs the extra load balancing I would avoid it

-Dwayne Lessner

-Dwayne Lessner
0 Kudos
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Was for the purpose of fault tolerance bit I assume esx can handle that itself so I removed the trunk in the physical switch config.

0 Kudos