vSphere vNetwork

View Only
  • 1.  vSwitchs & VMs with multiple VLANs

Posted Jun 16, 2009 07:40 AM

Hello there. I am deploying vSphere on an environment with VLAN tagging.

I have a Blade host with 2 Gbps NICs, configured to form a Team and plugged to vSwitch0. My Service Console´s port group is on VLAN2, then I have some Windows VMs that need to have access to different VLANs. How do i set this up?.

I have a port group for VM traffic, with access to VLAN2, but if some of the VMs need to access a different VLAN than 2,they fail to do so.

The thing is that you can't configure multiple VLAN to a port group, and by allowing 4095 (all VLANs) i get no connectivity to the VMs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: vSwitchs & VMs with multiple VLANs

Posted Jun 16, 2009 09:00 AM

just add an other portgroups with the other VLAN ID's to the switch an connect the appropriate VM's to them.

Does this solve your issue?

Tom

• 3.  RE: vSwitchs & VMs with multiple VLANs

Posted Jun 16, 2009 09:17 AM

Have you set the physical switch ports to trunk? You'll need to do this if you want to have different VLANs on the same pNIC

Then as vpert says add a new portgroup to the same vSwitch call it VLANx and chuck insome VM's.

• 4.  RE: vSwitchs & VMs with multiple VLANs

Posted Jun 16, 2009 09:26 AM

Yes, the physical ports are set to trunk. I have created VMNetwork22 and VMNetwork10 with their respective VLAN IDs. On the VM I need multiple VLANs I only have one virtual NIC, this NIC can only be set to access the network via one port group, I can't have the same vNIC on different port groups right?.

The thing is that all the physical NICs have access to the VLANs, they show it via vSphere Client.Each VM has one vNIC, and some of them need access to VLAN2 and VLAN10, and VLAN14.

So, I understand that if I create port groups I can assign a different VLAN to each on, but I can't link a vNIC to more than one port group.

What am I missing?

Regards,

• 5.  RE: vSwitchs & VMs with multiple VLANs

Posted Jun 16, 2009 09:42 AM

Sorry, that makes it clearer!

This thread might give you some pointers http://communities.vmware.com/thread/83099

If you want the server to see all Vlans you could have a router to route between them. You can only have one portgroup per vNIC.

- This blog has some good stuff regarding Vlans in it also.

Hope this helps

Paul

• 6.  RE: vSwitchs & VMs with multiple VLANs
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 16, 2009 09:51 AM

Why not adding more then one virtual nic to the VM which needs more then one VLAN Access?

VM

- virt.NIC0 - PG VLAN2 - vSwitch0

- virt.NIC1 - PG VLAN10 - vSwitch0

Helps?

Tom

• 7.  RE: vSwitchs & VMs with multiple VLANs

Posted Jun 16, 2009 11:25 AM

Yes. I just spoke to the networking group, adding additional vNICs and linking them to the appropriate VLAN should do the trick along with static routes.

I believe this solves the issue.

Thanks for the help!!

Best regards,