VMware Cloud Community
vmoney
Contributor
Contributor

vSwitch vs. vDistributed Switch

Would someone please explain why one would use one over the other? They seem very similar and I would like a clear explanation as to why someone would choose vDS instead of the vSS. 

Thank you. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

A standard vSwitch (vSS) is configured on every host manually or scripted.  A vDS is created at the datacenter level in vcenter and configured once and hosts added to it.  Portgroups on vSS are also similarly created manually on each and every host, vs vDS at the switch level, and automatically available on all hosts.

A vSS network stats information is local to the host only, but a vDS stats are maintained throughout at vCenter level and follow the vm from host to host.

vDS is dependent on vCenter, vSS is not.  For this reason, I use vDS for vm networking, and use vSS for management portgroups.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

this may also come in handy

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010555

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There are a few advantages in using vDistributed Switch:

• After vMotion, the network stats are kept.
  • Taffic shaping both inbound and outbound
  • Centralized management.
  • Private VLAN
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

vmoney wrote:

They seem very similar and I would like a clear explanation as to why someone would choose vDS instead of the vSS. 

As you might already be aware there is also licensing involved in your choice, as the Distributed vSwitch is only available at Enterprise Plus.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
vmoney
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you one and all for the excellent replies. I have set the VMs on the vDS and appreciate the setup and security it provides.

0 Kudos